The Haswell museum collection consists of approximately 7,000 animal specimens. Most zoological phyla are represented, including Australian and exotic species from over 250 families. The museum was established in 1890 by the first Challis Professor of Zoology William Aitcheson Haswell. This collection formed the nucleus of today's museum which has been continuously used and added to by academics, researchers and staff members. Some of the original specimens are now over 100 years old.
The Haswell collection is used for undergraduate teaching, and course-related specimens are displayed in the front foyer of the Macleay building (A12). The collection is available for research and outreach. For more information, contact the curator, Heather Sowden.
Currently a dedicated team of volunteer students and staff from the School Life and Environmental Sciences and the Macleay Museum are engaged in preparing a database of the Haswell Museum to allow for the museum's content, scope and potential to be communicated to students, academics and the broader community. This project has been generously funded by the University of Sydney Chancellor’s Committee. You can follow the progress of the digitisation project on the "Project Haswell” Wordpress, Twitter and Instagram pages.