Summer Research Project Scholarships
The Summer Research Scholarships are a great way to gain research experience and an insight into research process while working alongside leading scientific researchers from the School of Life, Earth and Environmental Sciences.
Summer Research Scholarships provide you with an opportunity to engage in formal supervised research projects over the summer holiday period, allowing you to develop valuable academic and professional skills as well as links to industry.
These projects give you the opportunity to engage in research while completing your undergraduate degree, enhancing your student experience and provides insight into potential further research degrees.
The scholarships are offered to domestic students at the University of Sydney and also to suitably experienced students from other universities in Australia and New Zealand.
Projects run for four to six weeks between November 2016 and February 2017, and are offered in the following research areas:
- Biochemistry and Cell Biology
- Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Nutrition and Metabolism
- Structural Biology
You must be available for the full duration of the project although specific dates can be arranged with your supervisor (please note the University closes from 19 December 2016 to 2 January 2017 for the Christmas closedown).
The following staff have projects to which you can contribute as a Summer Scholarship recipient. Please note that this may be subject to change. Please click the name below to view their academic profile which provides information about their key research areas.
- Margaret Allman-Farinelli
- Alyson Ashe
- Sandro Ataide
- Nick Coleman
- Stuart Cordwell
- Markus Hofer
- Melkam Kebede
- Ann Kwan
- Joel Mackay
- Jacqui Matthews
- Hannah Nicholas
- Rosanne Quinnell
- Dieter Hochuli
- Peter Banks
- Mary Byrne
- Maria Byrne
- Ashley Ward
- Ben Oldroyd
- David James
Terms and conditions
The scholarships will be awarded using the following conditions:
- For projects relating to Biological Sciences: Applicants must be enrolled on a full time basis and have completed Intermediate Biology (BIOL, MBLG) and intend to undertake Senior Biology units. Students from other universities in Australia and New Zealand must have completed at least two years of a full time program and be interested in honours or higher degree research.
For projects relating to Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology and Genetics, Nutrition and Genetics, and Structural Biology: Applicants must be enrolled on a full time basis and be in their second year of their degree program.
- Applicants will be required to submit an application form that can be downloaded from the Schools website.
- Applicants must be performing at credit level (AAM 65) or above to be considered for these scholarships.
- Applicants can only receive one Summer Scholarship per year.
- Students are to provide a brief summary of their experience to the School issuing their Scholarship when they finish their Summer Research Scholarship. This will be used with the recipient’s permission on the website to encourage other students who might be considering doing a Summer Research Scholarship.
- The scholarships are offered to domestic students at the University of Sydney and also to suitably experienced students from other universities in Australia and New Zealand.
The Summer Scholarship are offered for a maximum of 6 weeks and will be paid at the current Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) rate, which in 2016 is $506 per week. This will be paid to recipients in two instalments: 50% at the start of the project and the remaining 50% after the third week.
Dean’s accommodation bursary for scholarships within the Faculty of Science for recipients who live outside the Sydney metropolitan area ($250 per week). This bursary will be paid to eligible recipients once a fortnight from their start date and will be assessed by the Faculty on a case-by-case basis.
How to apply
1. Download the application form (PDF 99kb)
2. Complete the application form and attach:
- Personal statement (no longer than an A4 page). This document is an opportunity to put forward your case for receiving a summer scholarship. Topics may include, but are not limited to: your preferred project and / or supervisor (if known); preferred research areas; academic achievements to date; details of how you feel the scholarship would enhance your student experience; any plans for future study or research.
- Academic transcripts. You must provide copies of all transcripts detailing previous tertiary study at institutions other than the University of Sydney.
3. Submit the documents by 4pm 26 August 2016 to
If you are unable to submit your documents electronically, please submit the hard copy to Room 519, Carslaw Building (F07), The University of Sydney, NSW 2006.
- Applications close: 4pm, Friday 26 August 2016
- Offers made: Friday 23 September 2016
- Deadline to accept offer: Friday 14 October 2016
For further information please contact .