PLEASE NOTE: The Faculty of Science wishes to advise that from 2013, this coursework program will not be available to new students. However, applications are still being accepted for students wishing to commence in Semester 2, 2012.
The courses within the Sydney Microscopy & Microanalysis program are designed to provide you with a professional qualification in microscopy and microanalysis for industry, research, medical science and education purposes. The courses develop and enhance your skills in specimen preparation, operation of microscopes and analytical equipment, the interpretation of microscopical images, and microanalysis.
Specifically, you will:
- develop and enhance your skills in specimen preparation, operation of microscopes and analytical equipment, and interpretation of images and spectra
- learn how to choose the best method to solve any given characterisation problem
- gain practical experience in the operation of a variety of microscopy methods and sample preparation
Who should do this program?
This program is ideal for you if:
- you are currently working in the area of microscopy, and wish to further expand your knowledge and practical skills;
- you are a professional who would like to acquire new skills in microscopy and microanalysis. A wide range of professions can benefit from microscopy experience, for example, forensic and medical scientists, biotechnologists, geologists, archaeologists, metallurgists, materials scientists, materials engineers, mechanical and other engineering professionals;
- you are a student who has just completed your undergraduate degree and want additional practical skills to gain a competitive edge in the employment marketplace;
- you wish to obtain a professional qualification in an area related to your current employment, e.g. school teachers, research or laboratory scientists;
- you want to take some postgraduate study as a stepping stone to a PhD. Microscopy and microanalysis is a fundamental aspect of research in both the biological and physical sciences.
The University of Sydney is the only institution in Australia, and one of the few in the world, that offers a formal qualification in microscopy and microanalysis.
The Australian Centre for Microscopy and Microanalysis (ACMM) is the premier teaching and research microscopy facility in the country and has the most comprehensive array of imaging and analysis equipment and expertise available for you.
The ACMM is also headquarters of the Australian Microscopy and Microanalysis Research Facility (AMMRF), undertaking cutting-edge instrumentation and nanostructural analysis.