Studying in the School of Molecular Bioscience opens doors to an incredibly varied array of positions. The profiles of our former students will give you a taste of what is possible after majoring in either or both of the disciplines of Biochemistry and Microbiology, or studying the specialist degrees Bachelor of Science/Master of Nutrition and Dietetics or Bachelor of Science (Molecular Biology & Genetics). Because the knowledge of our graduates is so useful to the world in which we live, excellent employment opportunities exist:
- biotechology companies - in research to identify disease biomarkers, designing new drugs, screening drug candidates, diagnostics.
- hospitals - as clinical scientists and nutritionists to patients and the general public.
- pharmaceutical companies - in research, clinical trials, drug development and marketing.
- government laboratories - at CSIRO, national laboratories, forensics laboratories.
- government and commerce - science policy, regulation, patenting.
- community/education - as consultants, dietitians and educators
- horticulture and environmental industry - engineering new crops and plants, managing and developing waste disposal and recycling processes
- food industry - as dietitians and in quality assurance
- public relations - where scientific understanding is required
- universities - academic careers and research in both basic and applied research in universities and spin-off companies
- research institutions - focused applied research, e.g. at The Garvan Institute of Medical Research, The Westmead Millennium Institute
Seminar programs arranged by the School and in-industry programs for selected courses offer students first-hand interactions with potential employers prior to graduation.