SMB Summer Scholarships
The SMB Summer Scholarships are primarily for students who have just completed second year Biochemistry/Molecular Biology, offering students the chance to gain hands-on research experience in laboratories within the School.
Projects run for four weeks and are offered in the five main research areas of the School:
- Biochemistry & Cell Biology
- Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Nutrition & Metabolism
- Structural Biology
Scholarship recipients will have the opportunity to learn about current research and to work in high-class laboratories under the supervision of researchers in the School.
The following staff have projects to which you can contribute as a Summer Scholarship recipient. Please click the name below to view their academic profile which provides information about their key research areas.
- Margaret Allman-Farinelli
- Sandro Ataide
- Iain Campbell
- Dee Carter
- Nick Coleman
- Stuart Cordwell
- Gareth Denyer
- Ruth Hall
- Dale Hancock
- Markus Hofer
- Ann Kwan
- Joel Mackay
- Jacqui Matthews
- Second or third students (enrolled full time) from all Faculties both within and external to the University of Sydney are eligible to apply.
- Applicants will be selected primarily on academic merit (AAM 65 or above) in subjects relevant to the research areas in SMB.
- Projects run for four weeks between November and February (dates as negotiated with supervisor).
- Recipients will receive a standardised stipend amount (in accordance with current APA rate).
- Applicants can only receive one Summer Scholarship per year.
- If recipients live outside of the Sydney Metropolitan Area, they may also be offered additional funds of up to $250pw to cover accommodation/travel costs.
How to Apply
Download an application form from the SMB website.
As well as the completed application form, applicants must include a short CV, academic transcript and a statement of 250 words that describes why you wish to obtain a scholarship.
Submit the completed form and accompanying documents to the Administration Office, School of Molecular Bioscience, Room 435, Molecular Bioscience Building G08, University of Sydney.
Applications are currently open for the 2015/2016 summer period:
Applications close: Friday 28 August
Offers made: Wednesday 30 September
Deadline to accept offer: Wednesday 14 October
Students who are offered a scholarship from another school at The University of Sydney or another university and who accept such a scholarship must disclose this information at the time of putting forward the application.
For further information, contact .