SMB Summer Scholarships
The SMB Summer Scholarships are open to second year students currently enrolled in Biochemistry/Molecular Biology. This scholarship offers students the chance to gain hands-on research experience in laboratories within the School.
Projects run for four weeks and are offered in the five main research areas of the School:
- Biochemistry & Cell Biology
- Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Nutrition & Metabolism
- Structural Biology
Scholarship recipients will have the opportunity to learn about current research and to work in high-class laboratories under the supervision of researchers in the School.
The following staff have projects to which you can contribute as a Summer Scholarship recipient. Please click the name below to view their academic profile which provides information about their key research areas.
- Margaret Allman-Farinelli
- Alyson Ashe
- Sandro Ataide
- Iain Campbell
- Nick Coleman
- Stuart Cordwell
- Markus Hofer
- Ann Kwan
- Joel Mackay
- Jacqui Matthews
- Hannah Nicholas
- Currently enrolled (full-time) second year students, from all Faculties both within and external to the University of Sydney, are eligible to apply.
- Applicants will be selected primarily on academic merit (AAM 65 or above) in subjects relevant to the research areas in SMB.
- Projects run for four weeks between November and February (dates as negotiated with supervisor).
- Recipients will receive a standardised stipend amount (in accordance with current APA rate).
- Applicants can only receive one Summer Scholarship per year.
- If recipients live outside of the Sydney Metropolitan Area, they may also be offered additional funds of up to $250pw to cover accommodation/travel costs.
How to Apply
Download an application form from the SMB website.
Complete the application form.
Include a personal statement no longer than one A4 page.
Include a copy of your transcript (if not a University of Sydney student).
Submit the completed form and accompanying documents to the Administration Office, School of Molecular Bioscience, Room 435, Molecular Bioscience Building G08, University of Sydney.
Applications are closed for the 2015/2016 summer period:
Offers made: Wednesday 30 September
Deadline to accept offer: Wednesday 14 October
Students who are offered a scholarship from another school at The University of Sydney or another university and who accept such a scholarship must disclose this information at the time of putting forward the application.
For further information, contact .