Setting up Printers on a Windows 7 64 bit machine
Locating and Connecting to the SMB Print Server
Before setting up printers you need to make sure that your machine is in the MMB domain or workgroup.
- Printing is served by a machine called "CHEXI". You will be able to see it in the list of machines under "My Network Places".
- Log in to CHEXI using your MMB username and password (if you have one, usually permanent staff only) or your lab's account.
Adding A Printer
- Now go to the Start Menu -> Devices and Printers.
Click on the Add a Printer link.
- In the window that opens click on the Add a Local Printer link and select the Create a New Port radio button. In the drop down menu associated make sure that Local Port is selected.
- Click Next.
- In the dialogue window, labelled Port Name that opens enter the port name in the format \\chexi\printername. The printername must be one from the list you see when you open chexi in "My Network Places".
- Now click OK.
- The Window is now called Install the Printer Driver. Select the driver from the list. Firstly select the manufacturer [in our case usually Kyocera], then the model. If the driver is not there you may have to click on Have Disk and browse to the location where you have unpacked the driver.
- If you do not know the driver name. You can go to the printer and have a look or open the printer web page in your browser. For example http://l6taskalfa.mmb.usyd.edu.au will take you to the l6taskalfa - the model name is listed on the page.
- Click Next and in the next window enter printername.
- Click Next and Windows will install printername.
- In the Printer Sharing window select the Do Not Share this Printer radio button, click Next and then click Finish.
- Make sure that none of the School's colour printers are set to be your default printers.
Making a Permanent Connection to Chexi
CHEXI has an "anchor" folder which you can map to a drive letter so that your machine will log in automatically whenever you start it up. This folder is a place holder (anchor) only - you cannot store any files here.