Anyone with a pre-existing medical condition should inform the station prior to arrival.
The island has a well-equipped Royal Flying Doctor Medical Chest and access to the RFDS medical staff. In case of emergency, the RFDS can be on the island within 30 minutes, weather and tide permitting. However scientists are required to provide their own basic first aid needs.
Items you should bring:
- Sea-sickness tablets (if required)
- High SPF sun screen
- Aqua-ear (preventing swimmer’s ear)
- Aspirin or your preferred pain relief tablet
- Aloe vera or calamine lotion for sunburn
- Band aids
- Insect repellent
- Antiseptic cream
- Betadine or similar to treat coral cuts