Permission to enter the Capricornia Cays National Park (Scientific Section) and to stay on the OTIRS lease is granted by Queensland’s Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DERM). A maximum of 30 scientific researchers, students and staff are permitted on the island at any given time.

Marine research

The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (GBRMPA) issues permits and provides advice to researchers regarding the type of permits that are required depending on the nature and impact of their research. More details available here.

If your work falls under the limited impact category of research and you provide a letter stating this from your Accredited Institution, an "As of Right" (AoR) research permit may be authorised. Professor Maria Byrne is legally accredited to issue these permits.

All other research requires a permit that can only be issued by GBRMPA. It is necessary to liaise directly with the GBRMPA for permits. If you have queries about the type of permit you need, check the GBRMPA site foradvice to researchers here.

  • If you need a permit for MARINE RESEARCH please apply to GBRMPA at least 60 days in advance of your intended research activity.
  • GBRMPA, PO Box 1379, Townsville Qld 4810
    Ph:+61 7 4750 0758, Fax: +61 7 4772 6093

Land-based research

The island itself is a National Park and a separate permit is required for work on the rubble cay; this includes any land (island) based research (above the high tide mark).

If you need a permit for LAND-BASED RESEARCH please apply to the Queensland Department of National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing (DNPRSR) at least 40 days in advance of your intended research activity: