Associate Professor Brian Hawkett
BSc DipEd PhD Sydney
Director (Key Centre For Polymer Colloids)
F11 - Chemistry Building
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||61 2 9351 6973|
|Fax||61 2 9351 3329|
- BSc (Hons), University of Sydney, 1974
- Dip. Ed. University of Sydney, 1979
- PhD, University of of Sydney, 1980
- Research Manager, Berger and British Paints 1980-1988
- Research Manager, ICI Specialty Chemicals, 1988-1991
- Independent Consultant, Polymerization and Pigment Dispersion, 1991-1992
- Technical Manager, Daratech P/L, 1992-1999
- Principal Research Fellow, KCPC, University of Sydney 1999- 2008
- Associate Professor and Director, KCPC, University of Sydney, 2008 to present.
Controlled radical polymerization allows a control of polymer and nanoparticle architecture that was previously only dreamt of. Reversible addition fragmentation chain transfer (RAFT) is the most versatile of the currently available controlled radical processes. We exploit this new capability in our research to design and synthesize polymer particles and composite nanoparticles for a wide range of applications.
1. Disperse phase polymerization:
- RAFT controlled radical polymerization
- Emulsion polymerization kinetics and mechanisms
- Preparation of composite nanoparticles.
2. Biomedical applications of magnetic nanoparticles:
- Hyperthermia treatment of cancer
- Targeted drug delivery
- Medical Imaging.
3. Stabilization and rheological control of concentrated emulsions.
4. Improving the efficacy and performance of agrochemical actives.
5. Conducting collaborative projects with industry.
6. Ionic liquid ferrofluids for aerospace applications.
Current research students
|Project title||Research student|
|Synthesis of Hydrophilic/Hydrophobic Surfaces for Environmental Applications||Ahmed Owais AHMED|
|Functional Coatings with Special Properties||Liam SCARRATT|
- Preparation of composite nanoparticles for the enhancement of paint properties; with DuluxGroup (Australia) Pty Ltd.
- Improving the performance of explosive emulsions; with Dyno Nobel Asia Pacific Limited.
- Biomedical applications of sterically stabilised magnetic nanoparticles; with Sirtex Medical
- Ionic liquid ferrofluids for aerospace applications; with Michigan Tech and the US Air Force
- Enhancing the performance of Agrochemicals; With Syngenta Crop Protection
Current PhD projects:
- The particle size limits of the zero-one approximation in the kinetics of the emulsion polymerisation of styrene.
- The preparation of polymeric Janus nanoparticles.
- Polymeric nanoparticles in the treatment of kidney disease.
- Optimising particle concentration, particle size and stabilizer chain length for ferrofluids based on ionic liquids and other low volatility solvents; Hawkett B; Asian Office of Aerospace Research and Development (AOARD) - US Air Force/Research Grant.
- Radiolabelling of iron oxide nanoparticles as multimodality imaging agents; Pham B, Hawkett B, Pham T, Greguric I, Lengkeek N, Pellegrini P; Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering (AINSE)/Research Grants.
- Controlling density, viscosity and crystallisation in emulsion explosives to enhance safety and efficiency of blasting operations; Hawkett B, Warr G, Gore J; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Key Functional Additives in Paint Technology; Hawkett B, Neto C, Such C; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Maximizing the Spiking Performance of ILFFs; Hawkett B; Asian Office of Aerospace Research and Development (AOARD) - US Air Force/Research Grant.
- nanoIR - nanoscale bioimaging with continuous mapping of chemical and physical properties; Gomes V, Dehghani F, Gan Y, Chang L, Jabbarzadeh-Khoei A, McKenzie D, Hanaor D, Zhou F, Chrzanowski W, Braet F, Bilek M, Chan K, Perrier S, O'Neill G, Ammit A, Brand-Miller J, McEwan A, Hawkett B, Kondyurin A, Li Q, Burgess J, Li Z; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- The Colloidal Stability of Magnetic Nanoparticles in Ionic Liquids; Hawkett B; Asian Office of Aerospace Research and Development (AOARD) - US Air Force/Research Support.
- Thermogravimetric Analyser (TGA); Kepert C, D'Alessandro D, Perrier S, Hawkett B, Hibbs D, Wheate N, Harris A, Minett A, Ling C, Kennedy B; DVC Research/Equipment Grant.
- SCAA Memorial Trust Donation; Hawkett B; SCAA Memorial Trust/Research Donation.
- Janus Particles and Nanorattles: New Materials for Paint Technology; Hawkett B, Such C, Neto C, Such C; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- qNano scanning ion occlusion spectroscopy (SIOS); Chrzanowski W, Bebawy M, Dehghani F, Chan K, Rohanizadeh R, Hawkett B; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- Inhibition of Spontaneous Detonations of Explosive Emulsions in Hot and Reactive grounds; Hawkett B, Gore J, Beattie J, Gore J, Neto C; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Exemplification of Australian Provisional Patent Application No. 2009905865 "Water swellable polymer; Hawkett B, Such C; DuluxGroup (Australia) Pty Ltd/Research Support.
- Do we really understand the kinetics of emulsion polymerization?; Hawkett B; Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering (AINSE)/Awards.
- Aircraft Coatings; Hawkett B; Joint Strike Fighter Program/New Aircraft Combat Capability Project (NACC).
- Encapsulation of magnetic nanoparticles for the hyperthermia treatment of liver cancer; Hawkett B, Warr G, Jones S, Jones S, Jones S; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Linkage 2005 Round 2 - "Bubble Stabilization and Density Control in Self-Supporting Explosive Emulsi; Warr G, Tanner R, Hawkett B; Dyno Nobel Asia Pacific Pty Limited/Project Support.
- Bubble Stabilization and Density Control in Self-Supporting Explosive Emulsions; Warr G, Hawkett B, Tanner R, Gore J, Gore J; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Nanoparticles with designed morphology for surface-coating applications; Such C, Gilbert R, Hawkett B, Warr G, Such C; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- The development of 32 micron magnetic beads; Hawkett B, Jones S; Sirtex Medical Ltd/Research Grants.
- Novel Barrier products: Synthesis design using controlled radical polymerization in dispersed system; Gilbert R, Hawkett B; Ansell Limited/Project Support.
- Synthesis & properties of nitrile-based latex polymers for thin film barrier protection products; Hawkett B; Ansell Shah Alam SDN Bhd (Malaysia)/Research Support.
- Proof of concept - establish a method for immobilising well dispersed nanon size maghemite particles so that heating capability can be assessed; Hawkett B, Gray B; Sirtex Medical Ltd/Research Grants.
- Method for preparation of monodisperse divinyl benzene crosslinked polystyrene particles; Hawkett B, Gray B; Sirtex Medical Ltd/Research Grants.
- Linkage 2003 Mechanisms and modelling of gels for protein separation LP0347814; Hawkett B, Seabrook S, Monteiro M, Gilbert R; Life Therapeutics/Project Support.
- Synthesis of surface functionalised latex particles; Hawkett B, Dendane L, Theretz A; Unite Mixte de Recherche (France)/BLO Project.
- Developing cost effective UV protection of biological pesticides; Hawkett B; Horticulture Innovation Australia Limited (HIA)/Research Grant Call.
- Improving explosive emulsions by understanding surfactant interactions; Warr G, Davey T, Hawkett B, Rounsley R, Tolliday I; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- The stabilisation of titanium dioxide in latex paint systems by anchored steric stabilisers; de Vos M, Hawkett B; Tiwest/Research Grants.
- Next-generation environmentally-friendly surface coatings; Gilbert R, Hawkett B, Serelis A, Such C; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Strategic Partnerships with Industry - Research and Training (SPIRT).
- SPIRT 2001: next-generation environmentally friendly surface coatings C00107666; Gilbert R, Hawkett B.
- Research entitled Effect of the degree and type of crosslinking on latex film properties as measured by AFM and DMA between the University of Sydney and Orica Australia Pty Ltd (trading as Dulux Australia); Schoonbrood H, Hawkett B; Orica Australia P/L (Dulux)/BLO Project.
- Research entitled Morphology and particle size of a range of Storm latex particles between the University of Sydney and Orica Australia Pty Ltd (trading as Dulux Australia); Carr M, Hawkett B; Orica Australia P/L (Dulux)/BLO Project.
- Research A study of structure property relationships in gelatin, agreement between Goodman Fielder and The University of Sydney; Barrett N, Hawkett B; Goodman Fielder Ltd/BLO Project.
- An investigation of the factors effecting ink properties of modified phenolic resins agreement between Nuplex Industries (Australia) P/L and the University of Sydney; Helberg S, Hawkett B; Nuplex Industries (Aust) Pty Ltd/BLO Project.
- Analysis, design and preparation of acrylic thickeners; Maxwell I, Hawkett B; James Hardie Research and Development/Research Support.
- Development of an improved technique for stabilizing rhizobia for use in seed inoculation; Copeland L, Hawkett B; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Small Grants.
- Measurements of Interfacial Tensions Between Components of Explosive Emulsions; Scales R, Hawkett B; Dyno Nobel Asia Pacific Pty Limited/BLO Project.
- Control of humidity in the presence of biological actives; Roush R, Hawkett B; CRC for Weed Management Systems/BLO Project.
- Establishment of a method of degassing a high viscosity resin solution: agreement between Resmed Ltd and The University of Sydney.; Fraser B, Hawkett B; ResMed Ltd/BLO Project.