Dr Claudia Rutherford
Research Fellow, Quality of Life Office, School of Psychology
C39Z - The Lifehouse
The University of Sydney
Dr Rutherford is a health psychology researcher with experience in conducting systematic reviews, multi-centre qualitative and quantitative research, mixed methods during early phase testing, development and evaluation of health-related conceptual framework and patient-reported outcome (PRO), and psychometrics across multiple health conditions (including cancer). As a PRO specialist, she has a comprehensive set of methodological skills related to multi-centre research conduct and all aspects of PRO inclusion in clinical trial protocols, including: objective and hypotheses, selection of appropriate outcomes and measures, and time-points. Her current interest is in incorporating PROs into information provision, shared decision making, and the nursing curriculum.
Research interests relate to patient-reported outcome (PRO) assessment and psycho-oncology:
- development and evaluation of quality of life and other PRO measures, including symptom indices and cancer-specific modules,
- development of decision support resources for patients diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in situ to support patients make properly informed, values-based treatment decisions.
Teaching and supervision
Tutor: CEPI 5308 Patient Reported Outcome Measurement (PROM), 30 students, 2016
Teaching: Psychology Honours special fields PRO seminar co-convener, 2015
Teaching: Health Outcome Measurement in Clinical Trials lecture for the Health Science Clinical Research Trials Module, University of Leeds 2011
PhD student supervision: Development and evaluation of a patient-reported outcome measure for locally recurrent rectal cancer, Faculty of Medicine and Health, University of Leeds, from Jan 2012 – Feb 2013
Current research students
|Project title||Research student|
|The impact of chemotherapy-induced alopecia on cancer patients||Jing HE|
Cancer Australia Grant: Developing a Patient-Reported Symptom Index for Non-muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer (2016-2019)
Cancer Council WA Grant: Towards development of a decision support tool for women with ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast (2015)
UK Health Technology Assessment Grant: Pressure Relieving Support Surfaces: a Randomised Evaluation (PRESSURE 2) + QOL sub-study (2013-2017)
In her role as the Quality of Life Research Fellow, Dr Rutherford provides high quality, expert advice, training and technical support services relating to the inclusion of patient-reported outcome measures into industry independent cancer clinical trials. She continues collaborations with London- and Leeds-based health outcomes researchers on multiple QOL and other PRO research.
Australia and New Zealand Breast Cancer Trials Group (ANZBCTG) SAC Supportive Care Subcommittee since Sep 2015
Australia and New Zealand Urogenital and Prostate (ANZUP) Cancer Trials Group since Jan 2015
Sydney Catalyst, Aug 2014
Cancer Research Network, Australia, May 2014
Psycho-oncology Co-operative Research Group (PoCoG), since Nov 2013. Member of the Scientific Advisory Committee.
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine Health Outcomes Methodology Group, since 2007
International Society for Quality of Life Research (ISOQOL) since 2006
Awards and honours
Novice Investigator Award of EPUAP for 2010
New Investigator Poster Presentation Award of ISOQOL 2014
- Sydney Catalyst Travel and Education Award 2016; Rutherford C; University of Sydney - Sydney Catalyst Translational Cancer Research/Travel and Education Award.
- Upskilling our post-graduate research students to world-class standards of incorporating health-related quality of life (HR-QOL) and other patient-reported outcomes (PROS) into clinical research; King M, Rutherford C, Mercieca-Bebber R; University of Sydney/Strategic Education Grant.
- Supporting informed choice for management of screen-detected Ductal Carcinoma in Situ (DCIS) among older women (70 years and over); Hersch J, McCaffery K, Rutherford C, Houssami N, Spillane A, Saunders C; University of Sydney - Sydney Catalyst Translational Cancer Research/Pilot and Seed Funding.
- Developing a Patient-Reported Symptom Index for Non-muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer; Patel M, Rutherford C, Hayne D, King M, Smith D, Frydenberg M, Sengupta S, Costa D; Cancer Australia/Priority Driven Collaborative Cancer Research Scheme.
- Qualitative component of the OA Flare questionnaire development project; Rutherford C; Northern Sydney Local Health District/Research Support.
- Development of a PRO measure for osteoarthritis flare; Rutherford C; Anonymous Philanthropic/Research Support.
- Towards development of a decision support tool for women with ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) of the breast; Saunders C, Musiello T, King M, Butow P, Rutherford C, Burnett P, Chua B; Cancer Council Western Australia/Research Project Grant.
- Shared decision-making for women with ductal carcinoma in situ: a pilot study; King M, Rutherford C, Butow P, Spillane A, Boxer M; Medibank Health Research Fund/Research Support.
- An international field study of the Reliability and Validity of an EORTC breast reconstruction questionnaire to assess quality of life in all types of breast reconstruction � Phase IV; Winters Z, Rutherford C, King M; European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC)/Research Support.
- HTA 11/36/33: Pressure Relieving Support Surfaces: a Randomised Evaluation (PRESSURE 2) + QOL sub- study; Nixon J, Rutherford C, Brown J, McCabe C, Nelson E, McGinnis E, Gray J, Brown S, Hartley S, Wilson L, Stubbs N, et al V; National Institute for Health research (NIHR)/Research Support.
- Mobility outcomes in multiple sclerosis; Rutherford C, Hobart J; Multiple Sclerosis Society (UK)/Research Grant.
- Rasch evaluation of neuropathic pain scale; Rutherford C, Nixon J, Cano J, Briggs M; Molnlycke Health Care/Research Grant.