Dr Danny Liu
Ph. D., Grad. Cert. Higher Education, B. Sc. (Adv.) (Hons)
A12 - Macleay Building
The University of Sydney
Danny is a molecular biologist by training, programmer by night, researcher and academic developer by day, and educator at heart. He works at the confluence of educational technology, student engagement, learning analytics/educational data science, pedagogical research, organisational leadership, and professional development. He is currently a Senior Lecturer in Academic Development and Leadership in the Educational Innovation team in the DVC (Education) Portfolio at the University of Sydney, a Visiting Fellow in the Department of Computing at Macquarie University, and an Honorary Associate in the School of Life and Environmental Sciences at the University of Sydney.
Prior to this, Danny was a Teaching Fellow in the Faculty of Science at the University of Sydney, where he was closely involved in the award-winning redevelopment of a number of introductory science units. Having convened and taught large undergraduate courses with over 1000 students (give or take a few hundred), he has a strong background in student engagement (such as through technology and inquiry-based learning), student transition, and infusing technology throughout the curriculum. Danny’s research career started with a PhD in the molecular and cell biology of plants, and his research and development focus has gradually shifted towards education after seeing the wide-reaching impact of good learning and teaching.
Danny has a range of research interests where students are at the centre, including learning analytics and educational data mining, educational technology, student engagement and transition, inquiry-based learning, design-based research, and tertiary science education.
Teaching and supervision
- EDPR6012 Developing Integrated eLearning Environments in Higher Education - coordination and teaching.
- MBLG1001 - lecturing.
He would be happy to supervise students interested in any of his broad teaching and research areas.
- Scaling the provision of personalised learning support actions for large student cohorts
- Using analytics to push the boundaries of the online discussion forum
- Developing science student skills in the first year
- Empowering and personalising instructor-student interactions with student data using the Student Relationship Engagement System
- Learning analytics for MOOCs at the University of Sydney
- Developing and evaluating an open source learning analytics plugin for Moodle
- Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education
- Society for Learning Analytics Research
- NSW learning analytics working group
Awards and honours
- Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education Innovation Award
- Wharton QS Stars Reimagine Education Awards finalist
- Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education Award for Excellence in Learning Analytics Finalist
- Office of Learning and Teaching Award for Teaching Excellence
- University of Sydney Vice Chancellor’s Award for Learning and Teaching
- University Co-Operative Bookshop Excellence in Teaching Award
- Office of Learning and Teaching Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning
- Australian Society of Plant Scientists Teaching Award
- Faculty of Science Learning and Teaching Award
- Science and Mathematics Network (SaMnet) scholar
- Using analytics to push the boundaries of the online discussion forum; Keep M, Bartimote-Aufflick K, Bridgeman A, Liu D, Pardo A, Taylor C, Nguyen H; University of Sydney/Educational Innovation Grant.
- Embedding and evaluating active learning in a large foundational unit; Vicary A, Liu D, Spence N, Froissard J, Latchman R; Macquarie University/Extension Program.
- Presentations: supporting a key skill; Spencer N, Liu D, Ang L, Breyer Y; Macquarie University/Innovation and Scholarship Program.
- Holistic learning analytics for learning design and student success; Liu D, Froissard J, Dillon-Savage B, Seeto D, Richards D, Hamilton J, Ambler T, Breyer Y; Macquarie University/Innovation and Scholarship Program.
- Developing Science-wide frameworks for technology-leveraged in-semester feedback; Hudson T, Liu D, Newsome T, Taylor C; University of Sydney/Educational Innovation Grant.