Associate Professor David Allsop
BSc(Hons), MRes, PhD
Psychopharmacology, School of Psychology, Faculty of Science
A16 - Badham Building
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 7665|
|Fax||+61 2 9036 5223|
The Lambert Initiative for Cannabinoid Therapeutics
Exercise Cannabis Treatment Study
I gained my Master of Research in Animal Biology at the University of Manchester, UK. I completed my PhD in Evolutionary Biology at the University of Edinburgh, UK. I am currently an Associate Professor in psychopharmacology in the School of Psychology.
My broad interests are in psychopharmacology and clnical trials. I am particularly interested in the endocannabinoid system as it relates to health and welbeing and the insights it offers for a biological understanding of diverse disease states. My earlier work focused on understanding cannabis dependence and withdrawal and the development of treatment interventions for cannabis use disorder, including pharmacotherapies such as a Cannabinoid Replacement Therapy - similar in idea to Nicotine Repelacement Therapy. An emerging literature on the many potenital therapeutic targets within the endocannabinoid system has led to a specific interest in the psychopharmacology and clinical applications of cannabinoid therapeutics. Working closely with preclinical and clinical colleagues I am interested in translating basic science into clinical evidence with emphasis on targeting the endocannabinoid system for a diverse range of disease states (epilepsy, cancer, mental health, addictions, metabolic diseases and pain). I am also interested in the development of novel targeted cannabinoid therapeutics, and the regulatory frameworks surrounding clinical work in this space.
Teaching and supervision
Available for teaching: Public health; cannabis and the endocannabinoid system; Drug and Alcohol research; Statistics and experimental design; Research techniques
2014-2015 - Does exercise and fasting cause reintoxication in humans? (Associate Investigator) - University of Sydney Bridging Support Grant
2014 - Cannabis use and pain sensitivity: an initial exploration - internally funded
2014 - 2017 – Exercise for cannabis withdrawal – NHMRC Project Grant (CID) - $540,000
2012-2014 – Mental Health Drug and Alcohol Office (MHDAO) Research Grant (CID): Health outcomes associated with long-term cannabis use - $48,400 [complete]
2010 - 2011 Sativex for the management of cannabis withdrawal. NHMRC Project Grant (CIC) - $240,000 [complete]
College of Problems on Drug Dependence
International Cannabinoid Research Society
Awards and honours
- 2014 -D Allsop: Internal Research - Non HERDC; McGregor I; University of Sydney/Startup Projects Psychology.
- 2013 -NIDA International Travel Award - $2100
- 2011- NIDA International Travel Award - $2100
- 2004 - 2006 - Conference grants - Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 - $10000
- 2003 - Winner of Evolution & Ecology Group, Edinburgh University Postgraduate Excellence Prize
- 2002 - Field research grant - Davis Expedition Fund, Edinburgh University - $1000
- 2000 - 2004 - Conference grants - Association for the Study of Animal Behaviour - $2000
- 1998 - Field research grant - Percy Slater Memorial Fund c/o Linnean Society - $1000
In the media
- The Guardian: $34M Gift to academics at the University of Sydney for Medical Cannabis research: http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jun/12/medicinal-cannabis-research-gets-37m-from-grandparents-of-girl-with-epilepsy
- SBS World News: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/06/12/sydney-family-donates-33m-medicinal-cannabis-research
- Lambert Initiative named as inaugural partner in MIke Bairds new $12M cannabis centre:
- The Chronical:http://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/12m-for-medical-marijuana-research-centre/2672740/
- The Herald Sun: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/nsw-to-build-12m-cannabis-research-centre/story-fni0xqi4-1227396922967
- ABC New England Northwest Lucy Haslam on the evolution of the Lambert Initiative: http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2015/06/12/4254132.htm
- Extraordinary Philanthropic gift to form the Lambert Initiative for Cannabinoid Therapeutics: http://sydney.edu.au/news/84.html?newscategoryid=1&newsstoryid=15109
- Iain McGregor and David Allsop discuss medical cannabis in the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age: http://www.psych.usyd.edu.au/news/news20141205-1/
- Radio National and SBS Insight - Medical Cannabis in Australia: http://www.psych.usyd.edu.au/news/news20141020-2/
- Medical Observer: Taking the HIgher ground interview: http://www.psych.usyd.edu.au/news/news20141001-2/
- New Zealand Herald: The New Science of Medical Cannabis:http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11315594
- Alternatives to the black market for medical cannabis users:
- Sydney Morning Herald:http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/top-medico-alex-wodak-urges-intervention-to-curb-black-market-for-illness-marijuana-20140827-10960o.html
- The Age: http://www.psych.usyd.edu.au/news/news20140902-1/TheAge.pdf
- WA Today: http://www.watoday.com.au/national/health/top-medico-alex-wodak-urges-intervention-to-curb-black-market-for-illness-marijuana-20140827-10960o.html
- ABC News 24: The New Science of Medical Cannabis: http://www.psych.usyd.edu.au/news/news20140902-1/ABCNews24text.pdf
- Business Insider: Incredible philanthropic donation to University of Sydney for Medical Cannabis Research: http://www.businessinsider.com.au/heres-how-a-33-7-million-donation-will-change-the-face-of-cannabis-research-in-australia-2015-6
Anxiety disorders; Substance abuse and addiction
- Start-Up activities with or without a pilot and definitive randomised double-blind placebo-controlled trial or oral cannabinoid-rich THC/CBD cannabis extract for secondary prevention of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting; Grimison P, Haber P, Stockler M, Lintzeris N, Simes R, McGregor I, Olver I, Allsop D, Gedye C, Kirby A; NSW Health./Research Project Support.
- Evaluation of Oromucosal Nabiximols and Vaporised Botanical Leaf Cannabis in Cancer-related Anorexia Cachexia Syndrome: A Pharmacokinetic Study and Phase III Double-blind Randomised Controlled Trial (Cannabis Trial); Naumovski V, Lintzeris N, McGregor I, Allsop D; Health Administration Corporation/Research Support.
- From ‘BIG DATA’ to evidence: Post-market surveillance of psychotropic medicines in Australia; Schneider C, Pearson S, Karanges E, McGregor I, Buckley N, McLachlan A, Wilson F, Marshall N, Hunt G, Allsop D, Bowen M, Hunt C, Russell J, Abbott M, Lintzeris N; DVC Research/HMR+ Implementation Fund - University.
- An RCT of cannabinoid replacement therapy (Sativex®) for preventing relapse in treatment-resistant cannabis dependent patients; Lintzeris N, Allsop D, Copeland J, McGregor I, Dunlop A, Shanahan M, Bruno R; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- Sativex ratio detection of illicit use for rebuttal; McGregor I, Allsop D; New South Wales Department of Health/Research Support.
- Randomised control trial of exercise for the management of cannabis withdrawal in adult humans; Lintzeris N, McGregor I, Rooney K, Allsop D, Arnold J; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- Health outcomes associated with long-term cannabis use; Johnston J, Lintzeris N, McGregor I, Allsop D, Bruno R, Phillips C; Health Administration Corporation/Drug and Alcohol Research Grant.
- A double blind placebo randomised controlled trial of Sativex in the management of cannabis withdraw; Copeland J, Lintzeris N, Allsop D, McGregor I, Norberg M, Dunlop A; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
Selected publications & creative works