Dr Elizabeth New
BSc(Adv) MSc Sydney; PhD Dunelm
Westpac Research Fellow
F11 - Chemistry Building
The University of Sydney
- BSc (Adv, Hons1 and Medal), University of Sydney, 2005
- MSc, University of Sydney, 2007
- PhD, Durham University, 2009
- Association of Commonwealth Universities' Commonwealth Scholarship, 2006-2009
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California at Berkeley, 2010-2011
- Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 Research Fellow, 2010-2011
- RSC Dalton Young Researchers Award, 2011
- ARC DECRA Fellow, 2012-2014
- RACI Nyholm Lectureship (2014-2015)
- Senior Lecturer (2016)
- Chemical biology
- Bioinorganic chemistry
- Molecular imaging
- Redox sensing
- Metal ion sensing
The main research focus of the group is the development of chemical tools to assist the study of biological systems, particularly redox regulation.
Many diseases are associated with perturbations in redox state, so developing ways to measure biological redox state will help us to better understand these diseases and suggest ways to cure or treat them. We are developing probes that allow the monitoring of cellular redox state by MRI or fluorescence microscopy.
For more information please visit: http://www.chem.usyd.edu.au/~enew/
Current research students
|Project title||Research student|
|Cobalt complexes as responsive MRI contrast agents||Edward O'NEILL|
- MRI probes for oxidative stress
- Fluorescent sensors for redox state
- Fluorescent sensors for metal ions in biology
- Fluorescent sensing methods for platinum
Awards and honours
- RACI Educator of the Year Award, 2016
- NSW Early Career Researcher of the Year, 2016
- Office of Learning and Teaching (OLT) Teaching Excellence Award (Early Career), 2015
- Elected to the Australian Academy of Science's Early- and Mid-Career (EMCR) Forum executive team, 2015
- Young Tall Poppy Science Award, 2015
- Selby Research Award, 2015
- Vice-Chancellor award for Outstanding Teaching (Early Career), 2015
- Dalton Young Researchers Award, Royal Society of Chemistry, 2011
- The University Medal, University of Sydney, 2005
PhD and master's project opportunities
- Polymer brush sensing arrays for the identification of pathogens (GLYCOSENSE); Mahon C, New E, Muellner M; European Commission (Belgium)/Marie Curie Outgoing International Fellowship.
- NanoParticles: Safe or Not Safe?; Chrzanowski W, New E; University of Sydney/Sydney Southeast Asia Centre.
- Handheld devices for measuring the chemical environment; New E; Westpac Bicentennial Foundation/Research Fellowship.
- Perkin Elmer Mantra microscopy workstation; Sharland A, Abendroth A, New E, Alexander S, McLennan S; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- Portable Infrared Spectroscopy Equipment for Cancer Diagnosis, Research into Prevention of Cancer by Understanding the Role of Diet, and for Drug Development and Studies on Efficacy; Lay P, Richardson D, Banati R, Biro M, Bebawy M, Graeber M, Grau G, Hambley T, New E, Carter E; Cancer Institute New South Wales/Equipment Grant.
- The effect of Pt binding to CTR1 on Cu homeostasis and cell phenotype; New E, Hambley T; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Projects (DP).
- University of Sydney Automated Peptide Synthesis Platform; Payne R, Britton W, Byrne S, Chan K, Clarke R, Hunt N, Jolliffe K, Kassiou M, Lay P, Mackay J, Matthews J, McErlean C, New E, Rasmussen H, Rendina L, Rudrawar S, Rutledge P, Shepherd N; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- Novel hypoxia selective MRI contrast agents; Bonnitcha P, New E, Grieve S; Heart Research Australia./Research Support.
- The role of oxidative stress in obesity; New E; Clive and Vera Ramaciotti Foundations/Awards for Biomedical Research: Establishment Gifts.
- Development of sensors for biological redox state; New E; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA).