Dr Elizabeth New
BSc(Adv) MSc Sydney; PhD Dunelm
ARC DECRA Fellow
F11 - Chemistry Building
The University of Sydney
- BSc (Adv, Hons1 and Medal), University of Sydney, 2005
- MSc, University of Sydney, 2007
- PhD, Durham University, 2009
- Association of Commonwealth Universities' Commonwealth Scholarship, 2006-2009
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California at Berkeley, 2010-2011
- Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 Research Fellow, 2010-2011
- RSC Dalton Young Researchers Award, 2011
- ARC DECRA Fellow, 2012-2014
- Chemical biology
- Bioinorganic chemistry
- Molecular imaging
- Redox sensing
- Metal ion sensing
The main research focus of the group is the development of chemical tools to assist the study of biological systems, particularly redox regulation.
Many diseases are associated with perturbations in redox state, so developing ways to measure biological redox state will help us to better understand these diseases and suggest ways to cure or treat them. We are developing probes that allow the monitoring of cellular redox state by MRI or fluorescence microscopy.
For more information please visit: http://www.chem.usyd.edu.au/~enew/
- MRI probes for oxidative stress
- Fluorescent sensors for redox state
- Fluorescent sensors for metal ions in biology
- Fluorescent sensing methods for platinum
Awards and honours
- Dalton Young Researchers Award, Royal Society of Chemistry, 2011
- The University Medal, University of Sydney, 2005
- University of Sydney Automated Peptide Synthesis Platform; Payne R, Britton W, Byrne S, Chan H, Clarke R, Hunt N, Jolliffe K, Kassiou M, Lay P, Mackay J, Matthews J, McErlean C, New E, Rasmussen H, Rendina L, Rudrawar S, Rutledge P, Shepherd N; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- Novel hypoxia selective MRI contrast agents; Bonnitcha P, New E, Grieve S; Heart Research Australia/Research Support.
- The role of oxidative stress in obesity; New E; Clive and Vera Ramaciotti Foundations/Awards for Biomedical Research: Establishment Gifts.
- Development of sensors for biological redox state; New E; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA).