Dr Ilona Juraskova
A18 - Brennan MacCallum Building
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 6811|
- a Senior Lecturer at the School of Psychology, the University of Sydney
- a Senior Research Fellow and a Deputy Director (Psychology) at the Centre for Medical Psychology and Evidence-based Decision-making (CeMPED)
- a Consultant Research Psychologist at the Sydney Gynaecologic Oncology Group (SGOG)
- a Co-chair of the Clinicians' Research Interest Group within the Psycho-oncology Cooperative Research Group (PoCoG).
Trained as a clinical psychologist and researcher, I have over 15 years experience conducting clinical studies in the field of health psychology, and psycho-oncology in particular. My current areas of interest are:
- doctor-patient-family communication and shared decision-making,
- informed consent to clinical trials and to HPV vaccination,
- psychosexual adjustment and quality of life
- evaluation of health care services.
The ultimate goal of my research is to optimise patient outcomes by developing and evaluating evidence-based interventions and resources for patients, carers and clinicians that can be readily implemented in clinical practice.
Teaching and supervision
- F Lubotzky (PhD): Improving communication about psychosexual rehabilitation options following radiotherapy for gynaecological and anorectal cancer
- A Fisher (PhD): Development and evaluation of a treatment decision aid for individuals with Bipolar II disorder
- B Huntingdon (DCP/MSc): Sexual quality of life of people with HIV and people with Hepatitis C in Australia:A qualitative insight and the development of a questionnaire
- L Braude (DCP/MSc): Assessing patient suitability for risk-reducing mastectomies: A development of an assessment protocol for psychologists
- J Ling (DCP/MSc): Development and evaluation of a patient psycho-education booklet on Genetic Aortic Disorders
- A Lopez (DCP/PhD): Unmet needs of young women with gynaecological cancer
- R Laidsaar-Powell (PhD): Exploring family involvement in decision-making: Communication among patients, family members, and clinicians in cancer consultations.
- S Ellis (DCP/MSc): Development and pilot testing of a tailored sleep intervention for parents of hospitalised children(CAT NaP: Carers AT Night in Paediatrics)
- A Milton (PhD): Diagnosis of mental illness: Communicating difficult news
- T Mather (PhD, ANU): Promoting cervical cancer screening in younger women
Awards and honours
2006 Susan G KOMEN for the Cure Travel Scholarship (USA)
2008 British Council: The Researcher Exchange Programme Award (UK)
2008-2011 Cancer Institute NSW Early Career Development Fellowship
2009 Clinical Oncological Society of Australia (COSA) Best of the Best Presentation Award
2013 Dean of Science Re-entry Fellowship
2015 Dean of Science Re-entry Fellowship
Juraskova I. (2009). Quality of LIFE / Quality of SEX: Psycho-sexual adjustment following gynaecological cancer. Germany: VDM Verlag.
Communication and Decision Aid resources
(A number of Decision Aid booklets can be downloaded from: http://www.psych.usyd.edu.au/cemped/com_decision_aids.shtml)
- Juraskova I, Butow P, Lopez A, Seccombe M, Boyle F, Coates A, McCarthy N, Forbes JF. Deciding whether to join the IBIS-II PREVENTION study: A decision aid for women at increased risk of breast cancer
- Juraskova I, Butow P, Lopez A, Seccombe M, Boyle F, Coates A, McCarthy N, Forbes JF. Deciding whether to join the IBIS-II DCIS study: A decision aid for women with DCIS
- Juraskova I, Anderson C, Harrison J, Carter J et al. Deciding whether or not to have treatment: A decision aid for women with rising CA-125 after initial treatment for ovarian cancer
- Juraskova I, Butow P, Anderson C, Campbell I, Stockler M et al. Deciding whether to join the SNAC-2 (Sentinel Node biopsy versus Axillary Clearance) trial: A Decision Aid for Women with a Probable Diagnosis of Early Breast Cancer
- Juraskova I, Bonner C, Heruc G, Anderson C et al. Making a decision that's right for you: A Decision Aid for women with refractory and resistant ovarian cancer
- Gorman L, Juraskova I et al. Making choices: For women at moderate risk deciding on whether to take tamoxifen for prevention of breast cancer (UK)
- Sundaresan P, Turner S, Butow P, Juraskova I, et al. Deciding whether to join the RAVES study: A Decision Aid for Men with Prostate Cancer.
- Schofield P, Juraskova I, et al. (ASTROID) Is active survailance the right choice for me? A decision aid for men with Localised Prostate Cancer
Interactive Online Resources
- P Yates, K Nattress, I Juraskova, K Hobbs, K Sundquist, L Carnew. Improving the psychosexual care of women affected by gynaecological cancers: An interactive web-based communication skills module (http://modules.cancerlearning.gov.au/psgc/)
Communication Skills Training Modules (manuals, DVDs)
- Brown R, Butow P, Juraskova I et al. Communicating about standard treatment and clinical trials in the oncology setting. (manual, oncologist training module)
- Re-entry Fellowship; Juraskova I; Faculty of Science/Re-entry Fellowship.
- ASTROID: Active Surveillance and other TReatment OptIons for prostate cancer. A randomised controlled trial of decision aid and DVD information support for men diagnosed with low-risk prostate cancer and their partners; Juraskova I; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- From patient-centred to family-centred care: A new conceptual framework and doctor training to involve family caregivers in cancer consultations; Juraskova I, Butow P, Charles C, Gafni A; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Projects (DP).
- Rekindle Sexuality After Cancer: Development and Testing of a Novel Web-Based Psychoeducational Resource for BOTH Survivors and their Partners; Lawsin C, Butow P, Juraskova I, Lambert S, Kay J, McGeechan K, Boyle F, Batt G, Miller A, Brotto L, Ritterband L; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Re-entry Fellowship; Juraskova I; Faculty of Science/Re-entry Fellowship.
- Evaluation of the Prostate Cancer Clinical Nurse Coordinator Role; Juraskova I; Cancer Institute New South Wales/Sponsorship.
- A randomised controlled trial testing a Decision Aid to promote informed consent and recruitment to the TROG RAVES trial of post-prostatectomy radiotherapy; Turner S, Butow P, Juraskova I, Kneebone A, Woo H, Bell M; Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists/Research Support.
- PENTAGON TRIAL: PEER & NURSE SUPPORT TRIAL TO ASSIST WOMEN IN GYNAECOLOGICAL ONCOLOGY; Schofield P, Juraskova I; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- FUSION - Investigating the doctor-patient-family triad to gain an understanding of shared decision making; Juraskova I, Butow P, Tattersall M, Charles C, Lam W, McCaffery K, Shepherd H, Jansen J; Foundation for Informed Medical Decision Making/Research Support.
- Improving treatment decision making in ovarian cancer: the role of decision aids; Juraskova I; Cancer Institute New South Wales/Early Career Fellowship.
- Improving informed consent: A randomised controlled trial of a decision aid women invited to partici; Butow P, Juraskova I; National Breast and Ovarian Cancer Centre/Research Support.
- Improving communication and decision making about treatment options for asymptomatic ovarian cancer; Carter J, Juraskova I, Harrison J, Nattress K, Dalrymple C; Sydney Cancer Centre Foundation/Cancer Research Grants Program.
- OVERcome (Olive oil, Vaginal Exercise and Replens): An intervention study to improve sexual function in women with breast cancer; Friedlander M, Jarvis S, Meiser B, Juraskova I; Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation (USA)/Research Grant.
- Quality of life and psychosocial predictors of outcome in a population based study of ovarian cancer; Juraskova I, Butow P, Tennant C, Price M, Lo S, Gertig D, Webb P; Cancer Council New South Wales/Research Project Grants.
- Quality of life and psychosocial predictors of outcome in women with ovarian cancer.; Lo S, Butow P, Tennant C, Price M, Juraskova I, Lo S; Cancer Council New South Wales/Research Project Grants.
- Improving informed consent: A randomised controlled trial of a decision aid for women invited to participate in a breast cancer prevention trial (IBIS-2); Butow P, Juraskova I, Lafortune S; Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation (USA)/Research Grant.