Dr Ilona Juraskova
A18 - Brennan MacCallum Building
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 6811|
- a Senior Lecturer at the School of Psychology, the University of Sydney
- a Senior Research Fellow and a Deputy Director (Psychology) at the Centre for Medical Psychology and Evidence-based Decision-making (CeMPED)
- a Consultant Research Psychologist at the Sydney Gynaecologic Oncology Group (SGOG)
- a Co-chair of the Clinicians' Research Interest Group within the Psycho-oncology Cooperative Research Group (PoCoG).
Trained as a clinical psychologist and researcher, I have over 15 years experience conducting clinical studies in the field of health psychology, and psycho-oncology in particular. My current areas of interest are:
- doctor-patient-family communication and shared decision-making,
- informed consent to clinical trials and to HPV vaccination,
- psychosexual adjustment and quality of life
- evaluation of health care services.
The ultimate goal of my research is to optimise patient outcomes by developing and evaluating practical interventions and resources for patients, carers and clinicians that can be readily implemented in clinical practice.
Teaching and supervision
- F Lubotzky (PhD): Improving communication about psychosexual rehabilitation options following radiotherapy for gynaecological and anorectal cancer
- A Fisher (PhD): Development and evaluation of a treatment decision aid for individuals with Bipolar II disorder
- B Huntingdon (DCP/MSc): Sexual quality of life of people with HIV and people with Hepatitis C in Australia:A qualitative insight and the development of a questionnaire
- L Braude (DCP/MSc): Assessing patient suitability for risk-reducing mastectomies: A development of an assessment protocol for psychologists
- J Ling (DCP/MSc): Development and evaluation of a patient psycho-education booklet on Genetic Aortic Disorders
- A Lopez (DCP/PhD): Unmet needs of young women with gynaecological cancer
- R Laidsaar-Powell (PhD): Exploring family involvement in decision-making: Communication among patients, family members, and clinicians in cancer consultations.
- S Ellis (DCP/MSc): Development and pilot testing of a tailored sleep intervention for parents of hospitalised children(CAT NaP: Carers AT Night in Paediatrics)
- A Milton (PhD): Diagnosis of mental illness: Communicating difficult news
- T Mather (PhD, ANU): Promoting cervical cancer screening in younger women
IN PRESS PUBLICATIONS
- Kiln F, Fisher A, Juraskova I(2014). Which disease and individual-based factors predict intentions to undergo Whole Genome Sequencing? International Journal of Clinical Medicine (accepted July 2014)
- Davis EL, McCaffery K, Mullan B, Juraskova I(2014). An exploration of decision aid effectiveness: the impact of promoting affective versus deliberative processing on a health-related decision. Health Expectations(accepted July 2014)
- Butow P, Brown R, Aldridge J, Juraskova I, Zoller P, Boyle F, Wilson-Genderson, M Bernhard J (2014). Can consultation skills training change doctors¿ behavior to increase involvement of patients in making decisions about standard treatment and clinical trials: a randomized controlled trial. Health Expectations (article first published online: 29 JUN 2014, DOI: 10.1111/hex.12229)
- Zordan R, Butow P, Kirsten L, Charles M, Hobbs K, Batterby E, Friedsam J, O¿Reilly A & Juraskova I. (2014). Supporting the Supporters: A randomised controlled trial of interventions to assist the leaders of cancer support groups. Journal of Community Psychology (accepted January 2014)
Awards and honours
2006 Susan G KOMEN for the Cure Travel Scholarship (USA)
2008 British Council: The Researcher Exchange Programme Award (UK)
2008-2011 Cancer Institute NSW Early Career Development Fellowship
2009 Clinical Oncological Society of Australia (COSA) Best of the Best Presentation Award
2013 Dean of Science Re-entry Fellowship
2015 Dean of Science Re-entry Fellowship
Juraskova I. (2009). Quality of LIFE / Quality of SEX: Psycho-sexual adjustment following gynaecological cancer. Germany: VDM Verlag.
Communication and Decision Aid resources
(A number of Decision Aid booklets can be downloaded from: http://www.psych.usyd.edu.au/cemped/com_decision_aids.shtml)
- Juraskova I, Butow P, Lopez A, Seccombe M, Boyle F, Coates A, McCarthy N, Forbes JF. Deciding whether to join the IBIS-II PREVENTION study: A decision aid for women at increased risk of breast cancer
- Juraskova I, Butow P, Lopez A, Seccombe M, Boyle F, Coates A, McCarthy N, Forbes JF. Deciding whether to join the IBIS-II DCIS study: A decision aid for women with DCIS
- Juraskova I, Anderson C, Harrison J, Carter J et al. Deciding whether or not to have treatment: A decision aid for women with rising CA-125 after initial treatment for ovarian cancer
- Juraskova I, Butow P, Anderson C, Campbell I, Stockler M et al. Deciding whether to join the SNAC-2 (Sentinel Node biopsy versus Axillary Clearance) trial: A Decision Aid for Women with a Probable Diagnosis of Early Breast Cancer
- Juraskova I, Bonner C, Heruc G, Anderson C et al. Making a decision that's right for you: A Decision Aid for women with refractory and resistant ovarian cancer
- Gorman L, Juraskova I et al. Making choices: For women at moderate risk deciding on whether to take tamoxifen for prevention of breast cancer (UK)
- Sundaresan P, Turner S, Butow P, Juraskova I, et al. Deciding whether to join the RAVES study: A Decision Aid for Men with Prostate Cancer.
- Schofield P, Juraskova I, et al. (ASTROID) Is active survailance the right choice for me? A decision aid for men with Localised Prostate Cancer
Interactive Online Resources
- P Yates, K Nattress, I Juraskova, K Hobbs, K Sundquist, L Carnew. Improving the psychosexual care of women affected by gynaecological cancers: An interactive web-based communication skills module (http://modules.cancerlearning.gov.au/psgc/)
Communication Skills Training Modules (manuals, DVDs)
- Brown R, Butow P, Juraskova I et al. Communicating about standard treatment and clinical trials in the oncology setting. (manual, oncologist training module)
- Re-entry Fellowship; Juraskova I; Faculty of Science/Re-entry Fellowship.
- From patient-centred to family-centred care: A new conceptual framework and doctor training to involve family caregivers in cancer consultations; Juraskova I, Butow P, Charles C, Gafni A; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Projects (DP).
- Rekindle Sexuality After Cancer: Development and Testing of a Novel Web-Based Psychoeducational Resource for BOTH Survivors and their Partners; Lawsin C, Butow P, Juraskova I, Lambert S, Kay J, McGeechan K, Boyle F, Batt G, Miller A, Brotto L, Ritterband L; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Re-entry Fellowship; Juraskova I; Faculty of Science/Re-entry Fellowship.
- Evaluation of the Prostate Cancer Clinical Nurse Coordinator Role; Juraskova I; Cancer Institute New South Wales/Sponsorship.
- A randomised controlled trial testing a Decision Aid to promote informed consent and recruitment to the TROG RAVES trial of post-prostatectomy radiotherapy; Turner S, Butow P, Juraskova I, Kneebone A, Woo H, Bell M; Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists/Research Support.
- PENTAGON TRIAL: PEER & NURSE SUPPORT TRIAL TO ASSIST WOMEN IN GYNAECOLOGICAL ONCOLOGY; Schofield P, Juraskova I; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- FUSION - Investigating the doctor-patient-family triad to gain an understanding of shared decision making; Juraskova I, Butow P, Tattersall M, Charles C, Lam W, McCaffery K, Shepherd H, Jansen J; Foundation for Informed Medical Decision Making/Research Support.
- Improving treatment decision making in ovarian cancer: the role of decision aids; Juraskova I; Cancer Institute New South Wales/Early Career Development Fellowship.
- Improving informed consent: A randomised controlled trial of a decision aid women invited to partici; Butow P, Juraskova I; National Breast and Ovarian Cancer Centre/Research Support.
- Improving communication and decision making about treatment options for asymptomatic ovarian cancer; Carter J, Juraskova I, Harrison J, Nattress K, Dalrymple C; Sydney Cancer Centre Foundation/Cancer Research Grants Program.
- OVERcome (Olive oil, Vaginal Exercise and Replens): An intervention study to improve sexual function in women with breast cancer; Friedlander M, Jarvis S, Meiser B, Juraskova I; Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation (USA)/Research Grant.
- Quality of life and psychosocial predictors of outcome in a population based study of ovarian cancer; Juraskova I, Butow P, Tennant C, Price M, Lo S, Gertig D, Webb P; Cancer Council New South Wales/Research Project Grants.
- Quality of life and psychosocial predictors of outcome in women with ovarian cancer.; Lo S, Butow P, Tennant C, Price M, Juraskova I, Lo S; Cancer Council New South Wales/Research Project Grants.
- Improving informed consent: A randomised controlled trial of a decision aid for women invited to participate in a breast cancer prevention trial (IBIS-2); Butow P, Juraskova I, Lafortune S; Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation (USA)/Research Grant.