Dr Sally Gainsbury
School of Psychology
Deputy Director, Gambling Treatment Clinic and Research Group
M02F - 88 Mallett Street - Building F
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||02 8627 5642|
Academia Profile - Papers available
Research Gate Profile - Papers available
Research Supervisor Profile & opportunities
Dr. Sally Gainsbury, PhD, Doctor.ClinPsych, BPsych(Hons), is trained as a Clinical Psychologist and has over 10 years' experience conducting gambling research. Her research has focused on understanding the psychology of gambling to inform the development of responsible gambling strategies and harm minimisation policies.
Dr. Gainsbury has been invited to give over 80 keynote and conference presentations internationally and has provided expert input for policy makers and key stakeholders in Australia and internationally.
She is the Editor of the academic journal International Gambling Studies.
She has published over 80 peer-review journal articles, two books, and numerous book chapters and research reports. She has been featured in numerous international media stories, including CNN International.
Dr. Gainsbury has been awarded numerous research grants totalling $2,815,852.
She is the first author of a seminal paper regarding the impact of gambling advertisements for youth which has been cited over 100 times since 2008. Her research on Internet gambling has been instrumental in informing policy development and was cited 138 times in the 2010 Joint Select Senate Committee on Gambling Reform's report on Internet gambling and 65 times in the 183 page Department of Communication's 2013 review of the Interactive Gambling Act.
Dr. Gainsbury has expertise in qualitative and quantitative research, including experimental studies and in-venue evaluations of gambling policies. Her experience, understanding of the academic research as well as the practical experience and impact of gambling within Australia and internationally and wide network of expert connections make her a highly valuable research team member.
Dr. Gainsbury was awarded an Australian Research Council Discovery Early Career Research Award (ARC DECRA) in 2016 and her research is now focussing on understanding the psychological processes behind online risk taking and the influence of social cues online.
- Clinical psychology
- Disordered gambling
- Internet gambling
- Internet addictions - gaming, social media
- Risk taking online
- Youth gambling
- Impact of advertising & digitial advertising on gambling
- Responsible gambling, harm minimisation and prevention policies and practices
- Evaluation of responsible gambling policies
- Warning messages, pre-commitment, self-exclusion
- Social casino games
- Internet treatment & prevention
Teaching and supervision
Postgraduate Supervision - Completed
- Thesis committee for Justin McManus, Master's Candidate, University of Guelph, Department of Marketing and Consumer Studies. Primary supervisor, Dr. Theodore Noseworthy. Topic: Imapct of gambling advertising and mood on gambling behaviour. 2013-2014.
Postgraduate Supervision- Current
- Associate supervisor for Jaymee-lee Owen, University of Sydney Doctor of Clinical Psychology/Masters of Science student. Primary supervisor: Prof. Alex Blaszczynski. Topic: Effectiveness of Internet-based interventions for problem gambling: A comparison of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and CBT with motivational interviewing. 2014-current
- Associate supervisor for Erika Langham, PhD Candidate, Central Queensland University, School of Human, Health and Social Sciences. Primary supervisor: Professor Nerilee Hing; Co-supervisor: Dr. Matthew Browne. 2014-current Topic: The influence of the spouse or domestic partner's wellbeing in the experience of harm from problem gambling
- Associate supervisor for Dylan Pickering, PhD Candidate, University of Sydney, Department of Psychology. Primary supervisor: Prof. Alex Blaszczynski. Topic: Effectiveness of multi-venue self-exclusion. 2015-current
- Associate supervisor for Leigh Grant, PhD Candidate, Southern Cross University, Department of Health and Human Sciences. Primary supervisor: Dr. Alison Bowling. Co-supervisor: Dr. Steve Provost. Topic: Psychological risk factors in problem gambling.2014-current.
- Associate supervisor for Gavin Entwistle, University of Sydney Master of Clinical Psychology student. Primary supervisor: Prof. Alex Blaszczynski. Topic: Exploring the level of Internet Gaming Addiction based on game type and level of sociality within games. 2015-current
- The influence of features of the online environment on risk taking, Australian Research Council Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA), 2016-2019. $373,401
- Evaluating the effectiveness of an online self-directed intervention for problem gambling with and without clinical support, Owens, Blaszczynski, & Gainsbury, National Association for Gambling Studies,2014-17, $10,000
· Member, Australian Psychological Society (#027610)
· Editor, International Gambling Studies (2013-current)
· Consulting Editorial Board, Psychology of Addictive Behaviors (2014-current)
· Editorial Board, The Basis, a publication by the Division on Addiction, Cambridge Health Alliance, a Harvard Medical School teaching hospital (2016-current)
· Editorial Board, International Journal of Mental Health & Addiction (2013-current)
Boards and Committees
· Invited member of National Council on Problem Gambling (NCPG)International Advisory Panel, Singapore (2016-2018).
· Invited member of University of Nevada Las Vegas International Centre for Gambling Regulation Academic Council (2016-current)
· Invited member of UK's Responsible Gambling Trust's Machine Research Oversight Panel (2014-current)
· Treasurer, International Society of Managing and Technical Editors (2012-2016)
· Academic Committee Member, Asia Pacific Association for Gambling Studies (2012-current)
· Treasurer, International Society of Addiction Journal Editors (2012-2014)
Awards and honours
- Discovery Early Career Research Award, Australian Research Council(2016)
- Vice Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Research for Early to Mid-Career Researchers, Southern Cross University(2015)
- Early Career Researcher Award, Australian Psychological Society (2014)
- Travel Grant, Ian Potter Foundation (2013)
- Young Researchers Award, European Society for the Study of Gambling (2011)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Southern Cross University (2011-2014)
- Sir Robert Menzies Research Scholarship in the Allied Health Sciences, Menzies Foundation (2008-2009)
- School of Psychology Publication Prize, University of Sydney (2007, 2008, 2009)
- Postgraduate Prize for Outstanding Academic Achievement, Science Faculty University of Sydney (2008)
In the media
Since 2010 I have had 279 media engagements.
Notable mentions include being featured as an expert and discussing my research on CNN Vital Signs, ESPN, 7:30 Report, Lateline, SBS Insight, ABC News 24, The Wall Street Journal, ABC Background Briefings, BBC, The Project, Triple J Hack Half Hour, Marie Claire Magazine, ABC Radio National, Channel 10 News, International Business Times, Sydney Morning Herald, The Age.
Notable media engagement includes:
- Vital Signs with Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN International- gambling addiction, 9.11.15: http://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2015/11/23/spc-vital-signs-age-of-addiction-a.cnn
- Insight, SBS- young gamblers, 18.3.14: http://www.sbs.com.au/insight/episode/overview/600/Young-Gamblers#.UyogKvmSxz4
- 7:30 Report- gambling within video games, 20.5.16: http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4472277.htm
- ABC News 24 -simulated gambling games, 22.4.16
- Triple J Hack with Stephen Stockwell- convergence of gaming and gambling, 6.8.16: http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/hack/how-online-gaming-became-the-wild-west-of-underage-gambling/7694146
- Background Briefings, ABC Radio National- convergence of gambling and gaming, 5.7.15: http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/backgroundbriefing/fair-game-gambling-in-free-online-and-mobile-games/6580088
- BBC- Gambling in Australia, 9.6.15: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-33647401
- Channel 10 News- gambling within video games, 31.7.16
- Life Matters, Radio National ABC- taking on pokies in the marginal seats, 21.7.16: http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/lifematters/taking-on-the-pokies-in-the-marginals/7645822
- CNET- social casino games, 27.8.15: http://www.cnet.com/news/the-hidden-cost-of-free-to-play-gambling-apps/
- Mashable- convergence of gaming and gambling, 31.7.16: http://mashable.com/2016/08/01/australia-counter-strike-gambling/#o29O6JhlKGqJ
- BBC- sports betting advertising, 18.1.16: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-35259767
- Thomson Reuters- sports betting online, 19.1.16: http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-tennis-corruption-mobile-idUKKCN0UY0S3
- Sydney Morning Herald, Catherine Armitage - gambling within games, 31.7.16: http://www.smh.com.au/technology/games/just-when-we-got-used-to-kids-dying-or-killing-on-screen-something-worse-came-along-20160728-gqfp5x.html
- The Age, Jess Gardner- betting on video games, 28.4.15: http://www.theage.com.au/business/tabcorp-offers-odds-on-online-games-league-of-legends-and-counterstrike-20150428-1muv2s.html
- The influence of features of the online environment on risk taking; Gainsbury S; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA).
- Evaluating the effectiveness of an online self-directed intervention for problem gambling with and without clinical support; Blaszczynski A, Owen J, Gainsbury S; The National Association for Gambling Studies/Research Support.
- The use of social media and gambling; Gainsbury S, Hing N, Blaszczynski A, Russell A, Delfabbro P, King D, Derevensky J; Gambling Research Australia/Research Grant.
- An investigation of the characteristics of Internet gamblers and online gambling behaviour based on player account data; Gainsbury S, Blaszczynski A; European Association for the Study of Gambling/Research Grant.
- An evaluation of the responsible gaming features of the Aristocrat Blue Gum electronic gaming machine; Blaszczynski A, Gainsbury S; Aristocrat Technologies Australia Pty Limited/Project Support.
- Interactive Gambling: A multi-phase research study examining Interactive gambling in Australia; Hing N, Gainsbury S, Blaszczynski A, Wood R, Lubman D; Gambling Research Australia/Research Grant.
- Investigating Internet gambling in Australia; Gainsbury S, Hing N, Blaszczynski A, Wood R; Menzies Foundation/Research Grant.
- Internet counselling literature review and environmental scan; Gainsbury S, Blaszczynski A; Gambling Research Exchange Ontario (GREO)/Level 1 Research Award.
- Responsible gaming messages on simulated electronic gaming machines: Impact on recall, cognitions and intent to play; Gainsbury S, Blaszczynski A; Australian Gaming Machine Manufacturers Association/Research Grant.