International Science School 2013 Program
NANOSCIENCE: SMALL WONDERS, BIG FUTURE
Centuries of progress in science and technology have given us amazing understanding and control over the matter around us in the universe. In the last few decades we have learned to explore and manipulate matter at the scale of atoms and molecules - at a level where quantum effects take over, and familiar materials take on entirely unexpected properties.
This new age of nanoscience and nanotechnology promises a vast array of novel applications, from invisibility cloaks inspired by extraordinary metamaterials, to bespoke medicines fighting disease at the molecular level, to the next generation of optics-based IT technologies that will blow away today’s fastest communication systems.
The 37th Professor Harry Messel International Science School (ISS2013) will be run from June 30th to July 13th 2013. The ISS2013 Nanoscience: Small Wonders, Big Future will bring together top international and Australian nanoscience experts - along with leaders from the breadth of science, including keynote speaker and Nobel prize-winning cosmologist Professor Brian Schmidt.
About the program
During the two-week program, students take part in a variety of science activities to help them discover and realise their scientific potential.
- Talks and interactive workshops run by leading scientists challenge and expose students to new ideas.
- Students enter the world of thriving science laboratories and participate in hands-on experiments.
- A dynamic social program provides opportunities to develop new friendships with students from around the world, and to get to know the University and the wonderful city of Sydney.
- Students live on campus throughout the ISS at one of the university residences, and have access to the University’s gym, pool and library.
How to apply
Applications for the 2013 program have closed.
- Please read the How to Apply and Application Guidelines pdf prior to starting your application.
- Applications close: Thursday 28 February 2013.
- Australian students wishing to complete an application, please visit the ISS application website.
We have arrangements with organisations in various countries to select students to attend the ISS for the 2013 ISS program we will have students from China, India, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, Thailand, the USA and the UK.
International students should not use the application website listed above. Instead they can contact for further information on how to apply within their own countries.