Big ideas, big experiments, big challenges big science!
The 38th Professor Harry Messel International Science School, ISS2015: BIG, ran from June 28th to July 11th 2015. The program featured top international and Australian researchers from the breadth of science, including renowned cosmologist and author Lawrence Krauss, galaxy explorer and Square Kilometre Array leader Naomi McClure Griffiths, nanoscientist and brain mapper Michael Roukes, and NASA astronaut Greg Chamitoff.
Get The BIG Book
Each ISS lecture series is accompanied by a book in 2015 we produced an ebook version containing interviews with each of our inspiring speakers.
You can get the book in two formats:
- As a PDF file, which can be read on any computer: high resolution, big file (110MB PDF) or lower resolution, smaller file (30MB PDF)
- As an iBook for the iPad, iPhone or Mac computer (40MB ibooks file): you will need the iBooks app on your iPad or Mac to view the book.
Watch the BIG Videos
Want more? You can watch all of the ISS2015 lectures on YouTube, including:
- Professor Lawrence Krauss, renowned cosmologist and best-selling author, talking about the current state of our understanding of the universe
- Professor Naomi McClure-Griffiths on her explorations of the Milky Way Galaxy
- Professor Greg Chamitoff, NASA astronaut and aerospace engineer, on the challenges of human space exporation
Professor Lawrence Krauss, Arizona State, USA Cosmology
Dr Anita Ho-Baillie, UNSW High-Efficiency Solar Cells
Professor Michael Roukes, Caltech, USA Nanoscience & Brain Mapping
Dr Karl Kruszelnicki, Julius Sumner Miller Fellow, University of Sydney Great Moments in Science
Professor David Reilly, EQUS, School of Physics, University of Sydney Quantum Systems and Quantum Information
Professor Naomi McClure-Griffiths, ANU Exploring the Milky Way
Dr Martin White, Adelaide University Searching for Dark Matter at the Large Hadron Collider
Dr Stuart Prescott, UNSW Surface Chemistry
Professor Jennie Brand-Miller, University of Sydney Diet & Obesity
Professor Greg Chamitoff, University of Sydney and NASA Human Space Exploration
A/Professor Matthew Hole, ANU ITER and Fusion Energy