Kickstart Physics on the Road
The flagship University of Sydney Outreach program, Kickstart is hitting the road again in 2013 taking their interactive experiments and dynamic demonstrators to Tamworth, Broken Hill, Parkes and Wagga Wagga
This year, Kickstart on the Road will be bigger than ever with the teams from Biology and Agriculture coming along. The Biology and Agriculture sessions will include workshops and lectures covering dot points from their respective syllabi. They will also contribute to the community exhibitions.
Dates for 2013
- Tamworth: Monday June 17 to Tuesday June 19
Location: Peel High School
- Broken Hill: During Education Week Jun 26-28
- Parkes: Monday July 22 to Tuesday July 23
- Wagga Wagga: Thursday July 25 to Friday July 26
Kickstart workshops specifically address dot points from the syllabus. The full day program includes experiments covering the core modules of:
Full details of the Physics modules in each workshop are on the Kickstart Physics Home Page.
Similarly for the Biology Kickstart Modules
Here are some pictures from previous years
- From Ideas to Implementations:
- Motors and Generators:
- There is a 45 minute lecture on the Space module each lunchtime.
- Blueprint of life:
- There is a 45 minute lecture on Search for a better health module each lunchtime
- The Faculty of Agriculture and Environment will be providing posters, resources and a number of experiments for students to interact with.
- 9:00 am - 11:30 am Kickstart Workshop
- 12:00 pm - 12:45 pm Kickstart Lecture
- 1:30 pm - 4:00 pm Kickstart Workshop
In addition to the Workshops and lectures, Kickstart on the Road will be hosting public exhibitions for the community to get involved. This is chance for the parents, teachers and other community members to also benefit from the visit. Amongst the invited will be local interest groups, business leaders and local government representatives.
The community exhibitions will be held from 6pm - 9pm with the following details:
- Tamworth public exhibition
Date: Tuesday June 18
- Parkes public exhibition
Date: Tuesday July 23 at the
Location: Parkes Radio Dish visitors Centre
- Wagga Wagga public exhibition
Date: Friday July 26
Students must wear closed footwear in order to participate in the workshops, and long hair should be tied back. Full safety information about Kickstart Workshops is found in our risk assessment forms.
Workshops: $27.50 per student (GST inclusive)
Lectures: $10 per student (GST inclusive)
A standard day incorporates a morning and an afternoon workshop, with a lunchtime lecture, amounting to $65 per student. There is no charge for teachers, and no minimum class size. Booking details are below.
After your Kickstart session a tax invoice will be sent to you. You can pay by cheque or credit card. Cash is not accepted.
Kickstart on the Road bookings for 2013 are open through the Online booking form.
Your contact details, (school name, address, phone and fax)
Number of students.
The day on which you would like to attend.
The Widening Participation Grant, which is generated from the University's Social Inclusion Unit, will keep the Kickstart on the Road program running for another year - a good outcome not only for the Schools of Physics, Biology and Agriculture, but also for regional students.