Accreditation of Psychology Majors
Students enrolled in psychology should note the details for:
- Accreditation of psychology majors by the Australian Psychology Accreditation Council
- The requirements for a psychology major at the University of Sydney
If you plan to complete a major in psychology with any possible intention of proceeding to a fourth year in psychology (at any time and at any institution) then you need to ensure that the major is completed within an accredited degree program.
The programs at The University of Sydney that have Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC) accreditation are:
- BSc, BScHons
- All degrees that are combined with the BSc
- BSc(Adv), BSc(Adv)Hons
- All degrees that are combined with the BSc(Adv)
- BA, BAHons
- BHlthSci (N.B. BHlthSciHons is NOT accredited)#
- BCom(LibStud), BCom(LibStud)Hons
- BLAS, BLASHons (provisional until students graduate from program)
- Graduate Diploma in Psychology (GDP)
- BMedSci, BMedSciHons (provisional until students graduate from program)
- All degrees that are combined with the BMedSci
- BAS*, BASHons*
- BLibStud*, BLibStudHons*
- BEc (SocSci)*, BEc (SocSci)Hons*
- BST*, BSTHons*
# Students enrolled in BHlthSci who wish to complete an accredited honours year are advised to complete their psychology major in the BHlthSci and then apply for honours via the BScHons
* Accredited but do not appear on the APAC website as they are being ‘taught out’ (no new enrolments).
If you think that you might wish to major in psychology and then (at any time) complete a fourth year (e.g., with the intention of becoming a registered psychologist) and your degree is not one of the above then you need to consult an advisor to discuss changing degrees.
School advisor: Dr Fiona Hibberd (email@example.com)
Faculty advisors: Please contact your Faculty office
To meet the requirements for the major in psychology, you must complete 12 credit points of Junior Psychology units of study, 24 credit points of Intermediate Psychology units of study and at least 24 (30 for BPsych) credit points of Senior Psychology* units of study. The Senior Psychology units of study must include PSYC3018# (Abnormal Psychology). Students who want to be eligible for entry to the Honours program must also include PSYC3010 (Advanced Statistics for Psychology).
* Note: HPSC3023 (Psychology & Psychiatry: History & Phil) is available to senior psychology students and will count towards a major in psychology. Units formally approved by The School of Psychology as equivalent (e.g., Psychology Exchange or TSP equivalents) can also be counted towards a psychology major.
#Note: The PSYC3018 requirement is only applicable to students who commenced their degree in 2010 or later.
From 2012 the requirements for a psychology major will be altered by deletion of the requirement that the Senior Psychology units of study include one of PSYC3011, 3012, 3013 & 3014.
Students can work out whether they have met the requirements for a psychology major by using this self-assessment tool (opens as a PDF document).