Fellows of Senate
Her Excellency Professor Marie Bashir AC CVO
Her Excellency Professor Marie Bashir AC CVO was Chancellor of the University of Sydney from 1 June 2007 to 15 December 2012.
On this webpage view:
- Professor Marie Bashir's profile
- her election as Chancellor in 2007
- her roles as Chancellor
- as patron of University of Sydney organisations
- her speeches and
- her farewells in December 2012
- Marie Bashir Institute for Infectious Diseases and Biosecurity 2013
AC CVO, MB BS HonMD Sydney, FRANZCP, Governor of NSW
Fellow of Senate and Chancellor, 2007 - 2012
Chair, Chair Appointments Committee, 2007 - 2012
Chair, Nominations and Appointments Committee, 2010 - 2012
Chair, former Advisory Committee for Honorary Awards, 2007 - 2010
Chair, former Nominations Committee, 2007 - 2010
Chair, former Senate/Student Associations Liaison Committee, 2007 - 2010
Professor Bashir is Governor of NSW, the first woman to be so appointed, and took up office on 1 March 2001.
Born, of Lebanese descent, in Narrandera in the Riverina district of NSW, and educated at Narrandera Public School and Sydney Girls High School, Marie Bashir gained her bachelor degrees in medicine and surgery in 1956 from the University of Sydney.
Dr Bashir taught at the Universities of Sydney and NSW, increasingly working with children's services, psychiatry and mental health services, and indigenous health programs. At the time of her appointment as Governor of NSW, she was Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Sydney (a post she took up in 1993); Area Director of Mental Health Services Central Sydney (from 1994); and Senior Consultant to the Aboriginal Medical Service, Redfern (from 1996) and to the Aboriginal Medical Service, Kempsey.
Professor Bashir's widespread involvements and interests have included juvenile justice, research on adolescent depression, health issues in developing countries, education for health professionals and telemedicine and new technologies for health service delivery. Along with many professional medical association roles, she was, at the time of her appointment as Governor, a member of societies as diverse as Amnesty International, the National Trust, the NSW Camellia Research Society and the Tandanya National Aboriginal Cultural Centre, as well as being a patron of the Sydney Symphony and Opera Australia. She was appointed an Officer of the Order of Australia in 1988 for her services to child and adolescent health and subsequently made a Companion of the Order in 2001. She was later invested by Her Majesty The Queen, with the insignia of a Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (CVO) in 2006.
The honorary degree of Doctor of Medicine was conferred upon Her Excellency Professor Bashir by the University of Sydney on 11 October 2002, at the ceremony to mark the sesquicentenary of the inauguration of the University of Sydney and of the commencement of Higher Education ceremony.
Professor Bashir received an inaugural Women's College Alumni Award on 26 May 2007.
Professor Bashir is married to Sir Nicholas Shehadie AC OBE and together they have three children and six grandchildren.
See also the biography in the Faculty of Medicine, Online Museum and Archive.
Chancellor, 2007 - 2012
- Professor Marie Bashir elected University Chancellor, 30 April 2007
- Faculty of Medicine alumna elected Chancellor, 2 May 2007
- The University of Sydney welcomes its new Chancellor, Her Excellency Professor Marie Bashir, 2 July 2007
- University welcomes new Chancellor, 2 July 2007
Professor Bashir's terms of office as Chancellor:
- term 1: 1 June 2007 - 31 May 2011
- term 2: 1 June 2011 - 15 December 2012
As Chancellor, Professor Bashir was Chair of Senate and of the following Senate committees:
- Chair Appointments Committee
- Nominations and Appointments Committee
She also chaired the following former Senate committees:
- Advisory Committee for Honorary Awards
- Senate/Student Associations Liaison Committee
As Chancellor of the University of Sydney, Professor Bashir is Patron of a number of University organisations including the following:
As Governor of NSW, Professor Bashir is Patron of a number of University of Sydney organisations including the following:
- Australian Lebanese Foundation within the University of Sydney
- Hoc Mai, The Australia-Vietnam Medical Trust, a not-for-profit foundation of the University of Sydney
- International Science School of the Science Foundation for Physics within the University of Sydney
- Microsearch Foundation of Australia, which recently become part of The Medical Foundation within the University of Sydney
- Sydney Conservatorium of Music
- Sydney University Graduate Choir
- Farewell speech given at the University reception on 11 December 2012
- Speech given to open the 4th Tissue Engineering Symposium at the Darlington Centre on 28 August 2012.
- Tribute given at the Memorial Ceremony for Emeritus Professor Gavin Brown on 18 February 2011.
- Speech given at the Friends of Nicholson Museum's celebration of the 150th Anniversary of the Museum held on 13 October 2010.
- Eulogy given at the Memorial Service for the late Professor Sir Bruce Williams KBE held in the Great Hall on Monday 23 August 2010.
- Speech at the Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources Centenary Dinner held in the Great Hall on Saturday 5 June 2010.
- Welcome to the International Women’s Day Morning Tea held in The Great Hall on 8 March 2010
- Speech given at the Fisher Library Centenary Celebration on 20 September 2009
- Speech given at the University Foundations Reception on 27 July 2009
- Speech given at the official opening of the Law School, 30 April 2009 ... more
- Eulogy given at the Memorial Service to celebrate the life of Lady Black (Joyce), 30 March 2009 ... Program and Obituary for Lady Black
- Speech given at the Welcome Afternoon Tea for Vice-Chancellor Dr Michael Spence in The Great Hall and Quadrangle, 24 July 2008
- Speech given at the Welcome and Inaugural Address by incoming Vice-Chancellor Dr Michael Spence, 22 July 2008
- Vote of thanks to Professor Gavin Brown AO FAA CorrFRSE, Vice-Chancellor and Principal given at the Farewell Ceremony and Address in the Great Hall, 20 June 2008 ... more
- Farewell to retiring Registrar Dr William Adams, at his final graduation ceremony held at 11.30am on 13 June 2008
- Eulogy (pdf) given at the Memorial Ceremony for the Hon Kim Santow AO, 23 April 2008
- Short eulogy given at the Memorial Service for David Burnett, 2 March 2008
- Speech given at the Sorry ceremony at the University of Sydney O’Week, 27 February 2008
- Speech given at the launch of the book "Museum: The Macleays, their Collections and the Search for Order" at the Macleay Museum, 7 November 2007
- Speech given at the welcome ceremony for the Chancellor, Her Excellency Professor Marie Bashir, 2 July 2007 ... more
- The Common Touch, by Alan Cameron, in the October 2012 Sydney Alumni Magazine
- A Senate Dinner in MacLaurin Hall, 5 December 2012
- A special University reception in the Great Hall, 11 December 2012
- Celebrating Her Excellency Professor Marie Bashir AC CVO, Uni News 13 December 2012
The University's Sydney Emerging Infections and Biosecurity Institute (SEIB) was re-named as the Marie Bashir Institute for Infectious Diseases and Biosecurity at a special event on 5 December 2013.