Fellows of Senate
Professor John Campbell Earl
Professor John Campbell Earl was a Fellow of Senate in 1936.
PhD StAnd DSc Adel, FIC
Fellow of Senate 1936
John Campbell Earl, an Australian by birth, received his early scientific training in London, where he was Assistant Chemist at the Imperial Institute from 1911 to 1913, investigating fibrous materials and essential oils.
For a time in 1914 he was Victorian Government Research Scholar at the University of Melbourne, then he became chemist to an Adelaide firm. From 1915 to 1917, Dr Earl held the position of assistant chemist in the South Australian Department of Chemistry. In 1916 he entered the University of Adelaide as an advanced student and passed the B Sc examinations with honours In chemistry. He became a Fellow of the Institute of Chemistry in the same year.
From 1917 to 1918, Dr Earl was chemist at the British Government Explosive Factories at Gretna and Hayes, and later acted as research chemist in dyes at the Wilton Research Laboratories. From 1918 to 1920 he undertook further reseach work in dyes and carbo-hydrates at the University of St Andrews where he graduated Doctor of Philosophy in 1920.
In 1921 he was again assistant chemist in the South Australian Chemistry Department.
Dr Earl was appointed to the position of lecturer and demonstrator in Sydney University in 1922 and received the degree of Doctor of Science from the University of Adelaide in 1926. Professor Earl held the Chair of Organic Chemistry, Pure and Applied, at Sydney University from 1928 to 1947, and served as Dean of the Faculty of Science between 1933 and 1936.
His membership of Senate
Professor John Campbell Earl was a Fellow of Senate in 1936, as a representative of the teaching staff. He was a member of Senate's Buildings and Grounds Committee.
Information from 'Britain's horrific chemical warfare experiments in Australia by Bridget Goodwin; The Courier-Mail 23 December 1933; the Sydney Morning Herald 23 December 1933; and the University of Sydney Calendar Archive