Fellows of Senate
Gallery of their commemoration in the Quadrangle
Many of the early Fellows of Senate are commemorated in the Quadrangle in recognition of service to the University and of benefactions. Their names, initials, coats of arms, crests and likenesses appear on stained glass windows and carvings of stone and marble.
Included on this webpage are:
- Some of the original Fellows of Senate, appointed in 1850:
Sir John Bayley Darvall
The Hon Sir Edward Deas-Thomson, KCMG CB
The Hon Sir Stuart Alexander Donaldson
The Hon James Macarthur
The Hon Francis Lewis Shaw Merewether
Sir Charles Nicholson Bt
The Hon John Hubert Plunkett
The Rev William Purves
William Charles Wentworth
- More early Fellows of Senate:
The Hon Sir Frederick Matthew Darley
Henry Grattan Douglass
Sir Henry Normand MacLaurin
Sir William Montagu Manning
The Hon Sir Arthur Renwick
Sir William Charles Windeyer
The Rev John Woolley
SOME OF THE ORIGINAL FELLOWS OF SENATE
One of the original 16 Fellows of Senate, appointed by proclamation of the Governor,
Sir John Bayley Darvall served on Senate from 1850 to 1868.
The Hon Sir Edward Deas-Thomson, KCMG CB served as a Fellow from 1850 to 1879 and was elected Vice-Chancellor (1863 - 1865) and Chancellor (1865 - 1878) by and from the Fellows.
The Hon Sir Stuart Alexander Donaldson served on Senate between 1850 and 1861.
Edward Hamilton served as a Fellow from 1850 to 1854 and was elected Provost by and from the Fellows between 1851 and 1854.
A likeness of Hamilton's face is carved on the Nicholson Gateway.
The Hon James Macarthur was a Fellow from 1850 to 1860.
The Hon Francis Lewis Shaw Merewether served on Senate from 1850 to 1875. He was elected Vice-Provost (retitled Vice-Chancellor in 1862) by and from the Fellows 1854–1862, and elected Chancellor 1862–1865.
Merewether's coat of arms also appears on the South Vestibule stained glass window.
Sir Charles Nicholson Bt served from 1850 to1883. He was elected Vice-Provost by and from the Fellows 1851–1854; and elected Provost 1854–1862.
In addition, Nicholson's coat of arms appears on the Clock Tower, on the North Vestibule stained glass window, on the Oxford stained glass window in the Great Hall and on the east (Quadrangle-facing) face of the Western Tower.
Dr Bartholomew O’Brien was a Fellow of Senate from 1850 to 1869.
The Hon John Hubert Plunkett served as a Fellow of Senate from 1850 to 1869 and was elected Vice-Chancellor from 1865 to 1869.
Plunkett's coat of arms also appears on the Science Road-facing side exterior wall of the Great Hall.
The Rev William Purves served from 1850 to 1870.
The Hon William Charles Wentworth was a Fellow of Senate from 1850 to 1872.
MORE EARLY FELLOWS OF SENATE
The Hon Sir Frederick Matthew Darley was a Fellow of Senate from 1879 to 1887.
Henry Grattan Douglass served as a Fellow of Senate from 1853 to 1865.
Grattan's coat of arms also appears on the South Vestibule stained glass window.
The Hon Sir Henry Normand MacLaurin was a Fellow of Senate from 1883 to 1914. He was elected Vice-Chancellor by and from the Fellows (1887–1889, 1895–1896) and elected Chancellor (1896–1914). In 1912 he was declared a lifetime Fellow.
Once the Fisher Library reading room and bookstack had been linked to the Main Building by the Nicholson Vestibule and Gateway and the South range, three stained glass windows were installed above the stairwell in 1920, the central one a memorial to Sir Henry Normand MacLaurin.
When the new Fisher Library opened in 1963, the old Fisher library reading room in the Quadrangle was remodelled and named MacLaurin Hall.
Sir William Montagu Manning KCMG was a Fellow of Senate of the University of Sydney from 1861 to 1895. During his membership of Senate he was elected Chancellor (1878 - 1895).
The Hon Sir Arthur Renwick was a Fellow of Senate from 1877 to 1908. He was elected Vice-Chancellor by Senate from 1889 to 1891, 1900 to 1902 and 1906 to 1908.
The first University of Sydney graduate to become a Fellow of Senate, Sir William Charles Windeyer was a Fellow from 1866 to 1897. He was elected Vice-Chancellor by and from the Fellows 1883–1887 and Chancellor 1895–1897.
The Rev John Woolley was a Fellow of Senate from 1861 to 1866.
Woolley's coat of arms also appears on the North Vestibule stained glass window.