Honorary awards

Professor Raymond Le Fevre

Former students of Professor Raymond Le Fevre gathered in the Great Hall on Saturday, 18 May 1985, to honour their former teacher who was awarded an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Science at a special graduation ceremony to mark the Centenary of the Science Faculty. His former students came from all over Australia and from Singapore.

Professor Raymond Le Fevre receiving the honorary degree in 1985 from Chancellor, Sir Hermann Black

Professor Raymond Le Fevre receiving the honorary degree in 1985 from the Chancellor, Sir Hermann Black, photo, University of Sydney Archives.

Report

Professor Le Fevre was Professor of Chemistry from 1946 to 1970, and Head of the School from 1948 to 1970. He turned 80 on 31 March, just before the Science Centenary program began. Many of his former students, including some of those pictured above, attended the special birthday lunch held for him at The Royal Yacht Squadron, Kirribilli.

The Vice-Chancellor, Professor John Ward, said Professor Le Fevre could look back with pride on a career in which he produced more than 450 scientific papers and in which his influence and labours made the School of Chemistry 'a place of high prestige and scientific influence'.

From 'The University of Sydney News', 4 June 1985

After his Honorary Degree was conferred, Professor Le Fevre was photographed on the steps of the Great Hall with a group of his former research students. Pictured below, left to right, are:

  • (back row) Professor Laurence Chia, Dr Graham Holland, Dr Jim Eckert, Dr Bob Armstrong, Dr Dick Roper, Dr Peter J Stiles, Dr Don Radford,
  • (centre, at right), Dr Leo Radom, Dr Ray Pierens, Dr Alan Williams, Dr Geoff Ritchie,
  • (front) Professor Austen Hukins, Professor W Barclay, Professor Le Fevre, Professor Hans Freeman, Associate Professor Manuel Aroney, Associate Professor Brian Orr and Dr Ted Sullivan.
Professor Raymond Le Fevre and former students

Professor Raymond Le Fevre and former students, photo, 'The University of Sydney News', 4 June 1985, University Archives.