The Eight Honourable Lord Morton of Henryton
The honorary degree of Doctor of Laws was conferred upon The Eight Honourable Lord Morton of Henryton, PC MC QC, MA LLB Camb. HonLLD Camb., Glasgow and St Andrews, on 22 August 1957.
The Eight Honourable Lord Morton has had a most distinguished legal career. He was called to the Bar in 1912 and after a period of war service during the 1914-1918 War returned to the legal profession. He became successively a Bencher of Lincoln's Inn in 1937, a Judge of Chancery Division, High Court of Justice in 1938, a Lord Justice of Appeal in 1944 and finally a Lord of Appeal in Ordinary in 1947. He acted as Chairman of a number of public bodies, including the Black List Committee from 1941 to 1946, the Council of Legal Education from 1949 to 1953, the Committee on the Law of Intestate Succession during 1950 and the royal Commission on Marriage and Divorce during 1951.