Andrew Delbridge Osborn
The honorary degree of Doctor of Letters was conferred upon Andrew Delbridge Osborn, who made a great contribution to the history of Fisher Library, by the Chancellor Sir Hermann Black at a conferring of degrees ceremony held in the Great Hall in 1978.
From the University News, 8 May 1978
Andrew Delbridge Osborn was appointed Librarian of the University in 1958. When he resigned in 1962 he had added
more books to the Fisher Library than had been acquired over the previous hundred years.
In addition to the dramatic increase in accessions, he transformed library procedures, brought in the concept of the undergraduate library, and in collaboration with architects Tom O'Mahoney and Ken Woolley, created the new building in which to house the Fisher Library.
He left the University to become Professor of Library Science at the University of Pittsburg, and in 1966 migrated to Canada to establish a new library school at the University of Western Ontario.
He returned to Sydney as an antiquarian bookseller and now travels both nationally and internationally as a consultant on library science. His association with the University is still strong however - he is at present engaged in raising funds for Rare Book Library to complement the Fisher collection.