Professor Sir Robert Robinson
At a conferring of degrees ceremony held in the Great Hall on 24 August 1960, the honorary degree of Doctor of Science was conferred upon Professor Sir Robert Robinson OM, FRS, Commandeur de la Legion d'Honneur.
Professor Sir Robert Robinson was the first Professor of Organic Chemistry (Pure and Applied) at this University between the years 1912 to 1915, and later occupied Chairs at St. Andrews, Manchester and the University College, London and from 1930 until 1955 held the Waynflete Chair of Chemistry in the University of Oxford. Since 1955 he has been a director of the Shell Chemical Company Limited. Sir Robert is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and a Fellow of the Royal Society. In 1947 he received the Nobel Prize for Chemistry. In 1955 the Australian Academy of Science elected him one of their two Corresponding Members. Sir Robert is a past-President of the Royal Society of London and has occupied Presidencies of all the important chemical bodies in the United Kingdom. He has been the recipient of the Davy, Royal and the Copley Medals from the Royal Society. He holds the following degrees: MA (Oxon.) DSc (Manc.) HonDSc (London, Liv., Wales, Dunelm, Sheff., Belfast, Bris., and Oxon.), HonLLD (Edin., Birm., St. Andrews, Glas., and Manc.), HonDPharm (Madrid and Paris), HonMInst CE.
From the Senate Report for the year ended 31 December 1960