The Quadrangle

The East Range and Great Hall – 1850s to 1890s


Click on images for enlargement.


1850s

Great Hall 1859

The Great Hall, with the caption "Sydney University Hall - in commemoration of the grand festival at the opening of the Sydney University - the 18th of July 1859", albumen paper photograph by William Blackwood (1824 - 1897), with the kind permission of the Josef Lebovic Gallery.

1859

View of the East range and Great Hall, and the carving of gargoyles, c1859, photo by Professor John Smith, University of Sydney Archives. — Note the three foundation professors of the University, John Smith (timing the exposure, left), Morris Birkbeck Pell, Professor of Mathematics, and John Woolley, Principal and Professor of Classics.

1860s

Work did not finish until 1862 when the Tower was completed and all funds were exhausted.

The Tower minus turrets

The East range in about 1860, photo by W Hetzer, courtesy of the Macleay Museum, University of Sydney. — Note: the turrets had not yet been built on the Tower (they were added in 1862 with more Government funding).

c1865

The completed East range and Great Hall from Parramatta Road about 1865, photo by Professor Smith, University Archives. — Note: in 1865 an area was added to the University to provide a formal entrance from Newtown (City) Road (near the junction with Parramatta Road) to the archway under the Tower. It was levelled, fenced and planted with a double row of pines and fig trees on each side. This can be seen on the left of the image.

1864 - 1866

A view of the East range and Great Hall from the left hand side between 1864 and 1866, photo, Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW, Digital order number: a089456.

1870s

c1870 from RPAH

The rear of the Main Building c1870, with the Great Hall on the left, taken from Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, photo, University Archives. — Note: grazing animals.

Angel of Knowledge

The East range 1870, photo attributed to Charles Pickering, Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW, Digital order number: a089452. — Note: the two metre statue called the 'Angel of Knowledge', which was erected in 1859, is visible on the Great Hall. It was intended to symbolise the spirit of the University.

1870

The front of the Main Building in November 1870 showing the fenced main approach from Newtown (City) Road to the archway under the Great Tower, photo, Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW, Digital order number - a089465. — Note: the bridge which had been built over the Horse Pond as part of the University entrance avenue; and the immature plantings along the main entry road.

early 1870s

A view of the East range and Great Hall from the Parramatta Road side in the early 1870s, photo, Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW. — Note: a privately owned horse-drawn omnibus service was Sydney’s major form of urban transport until the early 1890s; and this carriage is marked "Ashfield - Burwood".

1870 - 1874

The Main Building in the early 1870s, showing the corner of Parramatta Road and Bay Street, photo, Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW, Digital order number: on4_40560. — Note: a number of horse-drawn omnibuses.

Quadrangle c1870

The Main Building in the early 1870s with Parramatta Road in the foreground, photo, University Archives. — Note: access now available from Parramatta Road as well as the main entrance on Newtown (now City) Road; and the small building beside the Parramatta Road entrance.

Quadrangle - before 1874

The Main Building in the early 1870s, showing the corner of Parramatta Road and Bay Street, photo, Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW, Digital order number: a089457

Quadrangle 1872

The Main Building in the early 1870s with Parramatta Road in the foreground, photo, University Archives. — Note: on the far left, part of the roof of the small building beside the entrance from Parramatta Road; and the gate in the fence.

Quadrangle - after 1874

Attributed to John Paine after 1874, photo, Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW, Digital order number: a089462. — Note: the 'Angel of Knowledge' has gone - it was removed in 1874 due to safety concerns.

1890s

Back of the Great Hall and East range in 1893

Behind the Main Building in 1893 by Edward Hufton, photo, University Archives. — Note: stables behind the Great Hall and a tennis court.

Back of the Great Hall and East range in 1893

Behind the Main Building in 1893 by Edward Hufton, photo, University Archives. — Note: Two tennis courts.

1890s

A view of the Main Building from Newtown (City) Road with stone gates at a second entrance in the foreground, photo, courtesy State Records. — Note: paling fences have been replaced with iron fences - one of the works carried out in the grounds during the 1890s as part of an unemployment relief scheme, involving at least 150 men.

after 1874

A view of the Main Building with the gates at a second Newtown (City) Road entrance in the foreground, photo, courtesy State Records.


LB