The East Range and Great Hall 1930s to 1970s
Click on images for enlargements.
An aerial view of the University in the 1930s, photo, part of the Hall collection, courtesy of the Macleay Museum, University of Sydney. Note: the unfinished Western Tower and cloisters, which were not completed until 1966.
Fishing in Victoria Park, with the Quadrangle in the background, photo, Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW, Digital order number: hood_03139.
Student Commem Day, 21 May 1935, photo, Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW, Digital order number: hood_12309.
In front of the Quadrangle before the ceremony held in the Great Hall on 6 October 1950 to commemorate the passage of the Act Incorporating the University which received the Assent of the Governor on 1 October 1850, Sydney Morning Herald photo, copies held by the University of Sydney Archives. Note: Deputy Chancellor the Hon Mr Justice E D Roper and Chancellor Sir Charles Bickerton Blackburn greet the Rt Hon the Lord Mayor of Sydney, Alderman Ernest Charles O'Dea.
The Quadrangle on 23 June 1953, photo, Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW, Digital order number: d2_03263.
A student demonstration in 1976 against the Tertiary Education Assistance Scheme (TEAS) established in 1973 under the Whitlam Government, photo, University Archives.