Building the Quadrangle
Stage 6: 1960s
The main phases of the Quadrangle's construction were between 1854 and 1966. This webpage covers stage 6 - the 1960s:
- The Mungo MacCallum Building built to connect with the rear of the bookstack, 1959-1960
- The old Library reading room remodelled as MacLaurin Hall, 1963
- The old Library book stack replaced, 1963
- The old Library periodicals room remodelled as the Professorial Board Room, 1963
- The Western Tower completed and cloisters extended, 1966
Photos are courtesy of the University of Sydney Archives unless otherwise stated. Click on images for enlargement.
The Mungo MacCallum Building was built to provide additional space for the Faculty of Arts and joined the rear of the bookstack. However, its connection with the Quadrangle was unsympathetic, with its over-burnt and misshapen clinker brickwork juxtaposed with the Quadrangle's finely chiselled sandstone.
As Trevor Howells says in University of Sydney Architecture, it "must rank as one of the most ill-judged architectural decisions ever built at the University".
View of the rear of the Western Tower and
View of the Mungo MacCallum building on
The new Fisher Library and nine-storey book stack were built between 1961 and 1971. When the new Fisher Library opened in 1963, the old Library reading room in the Quadrangle was remodelled by Fowell Mansfield & Maclurcan and named MacLaurin Hall.
View images and information about MacLaurin Hall.
On the opening of the new Fisher Library in 1963, the seven levels of open steel structure, stairs and lifts within the old Library's book stack were demolished and replaced by teaching and office spaces to accommodate much of the History Department and a new staircase leading to a new entrance.
The staircase today,
When the new Fisher Library opened in 1963, the old Library's periodicals room was remodelled as the Professorial Board Room.
View images and information about the Professorial Board Room.
Architects: Fowell, Mansfield and MacLurcan
Style: A modified version, for reasons of economy, of Wilkinson's original 1920s plans which had been intended to reflect the Gothic style of Brasenose and Wadham Colleges, Oxford..
In 1963 work began on completion of the Western Tower of the Quadrangle and the extension of the cloisters up to the Tower. This section of the building was faced with sandstone and five bays of cloisters were added between the Tower and the south-west corner to complete the Quadrangle. The work was finished in 1966.
View images and information about the Western Tower.
Construction of the west face of the Western
The completed west face of the Western