The Quadrangle

Dated copper rainwater heads

Each section of the Quadrangle bears its construction date/s in a range of ways including on copper rainwater heads. Some examples appear below.

Photos on this webpage are courtesy of the University Secretariat.

1857 1912 1921

1857 - a copper rainwater head
on the Quadrangle wall of the
Great Hall, the earliest of these -

1913 - around the corner of the
East range, facing the Anderson
Stuart Building, is this copper
rainwater head - the former
Fisher Library was linked to
the East Range between 1913
and c1920 - enlargement.

1921 - the date of construction
of the Organic Chemistry
Lecture Theatre (now General
Lecture Theatre 1).
It was completed in 1922 -

1924 1925 1966

1924 - one of a number of copper
rainwater heads which bear
the date of construction
of the north-west range -

1925 - the date of construction
of the building between
the Fisher Library book stack
and the Western Tower -

1966 - the date of completion
of the east face of the
Western Tower - enlargement.


2000 - a new copper rainwater
head on the Clock Tower,
part of the facelift carried
out between 1999 and 2002
under the University’s Heritage Fabric
Maintenance and Conservation
Program project - enlargement.