Rolls of Honour
There are two bronze Rolls of Honour in the archway entrance to the Clock Tower.
Images are courtesy of the University Secretariat unless otherwise indicated.
The wooden ceiling -
One of the wrought iron gates -
The Rolls were designed and constructed under the supervision of the Government Architect, Evan Smith, and the contractors were H W Thompson Joinery Limited with Castle Brothers for the bronzework and Arnold and Son for the stonework.
The archway of the Clock Tower was converted into a shrine with the two honour rolls. A wooden ceiling and wrought iron gates were also added.
Both Rolls are of bronze and similar in style. They face each other upon the opposite walls of the archway, the larger resting upon a stone base, the smaller upon a continuous bracket of stone.
On the larger Roll are engraved the names of those members of the University who gave their lives in World War I. The lines by Virgil at its foot can be translated as: "Noble spirits, who with their blood won this our country for us."
Read the names of those members of the University killed in the War as published in the Senate Report for 1915.
On the smaller Roll are the names of military units and groups of people whose memorials had been entrusted to the University for use and keeping in connection with its own war memorial. At the top of this Roll are the words: "These also shall be held in grateful memory and shall be sung for ever by the bells," and at its foot part of two lines from Virgil which can be be translated as: "A black day dawned; bravely they fought and died".
The Rolls were unveiled by the Governor (Sir Phillp Game) at a ceremony at 11.45am on Armistice Day, 11 November 1931, and dedicated by the Anglican Archbishop of Sydney (Dr Wright).
The ceremony was attended by most of the relatives and other near representatives of those commemorated on the University's own Roll of Honour, and by many representing the other individuals, not members of the University, and the military units and groups of people whose memorials had been entrusted to the use and keeping of the University and were recorded on 'the supplementary Roll of Honour.
The unveiling was preceded by the Armistice Day ceremony, from 10.40 am until 11.20 am in the Great Hall.
The academic procession, followed by the general assemblage, (then) proceeded to the Quadrangle. There the procession halted to face the Great Tower and to hear Chopin's "Funeral March" played on the carillon. Later the assemblage proceeded to the special reserve before the archway of the tower for the unveiling ceremony. The smart guard of honour for the Governor consisted of a detachment of 50 men from the Sydney University Regiment commanded by Captain J H. Pilcher. The guard was accompanied by the University Regimental Pipe Band, under Pipe-Major D. Mackenzie and Drum-Major C. J. Fegent. The merry skirl of the pipes before the ceremony and as the Vice-Regal party left gave a lively note to the proceedings ... Following the Governor's speech, the Governor and Lady Game inspected the rolls of honour. (from a SMH article, 12 November 1931).
There was a Carillon recital from 12.30 pm until 1.00pm.
Wreaths are laid before the Rolls each ANZAC Day.