The Quadrangle

The Professorial Board Room

The Fisher Library's Periodicals Room in the Quadrangle, built in 1918, was converted to the Professorial Board Room in 1964, after the Fisher Library relocated to its current premises.

A fire which broke out in the roof space at the south-east corner of the Quadrangle on 24 February 1989 damaged part of the east and south range requiring the removal of damaged roof timbers. The roof was subsequently restored.

The photos below are courtesy, University of Sydney Archives unless otherwise indicated.


View of the fire from inside the Quadrangle.
The fire brigade at the front of the Quadrangle.

View of the fire from inside the Quadrangle, and
a fireman on the roof from a ladder
on the south side.

The fire brigade at the front of the Quadrangle.

The fire brigade at the front of the Quadrangle.
The fire brigade at the front of the Quadrangle.

The front of the Quadrangle.

The front of the Quadrangle.

The fire brigade at the front of the Quadrangle.
View from the south side of the Quadrangle.

A fireman fighting the fire
from the front of the Quadrangle.

View from the south side of the Quadrangle.

View from the south side of the Quadrangle.
View from the south side of the Quadrangle.

View from the south side of the Quadrangle.


On the south side
On the south side
On the south side

Firemen approaching the roof from the south side of the Qudrangle.


After the fire

After the fire, photo, courtesy David Bradbury.


LB