The Quadrangle

The War Memorial Gallery of Fine Arts (now the University Art Gallery)

The University Art Gallery is located in the War Memorial Arch which spans the northern wing of the Quadrangle and the Macleay Museum across Science Road. The University Art Gallery holds regular temporary exhibitions which include works from the University Art Collection.


Images are courtesy of the University Secretariat.

The sandstone facade

The Mediterranean facade

The Gallery's Mediterranean facade -
enlargement.

The Gallery's sandstone facade - enlargement.



Background

In August 1953 Professors Leslie Wilkinson and H Ingham Ashworth were appointed architects for the Memorial Great Gate and Gallery of Fine Arts.

In 1954 Senate decided to allot part of the funds raised by the Centenary Appeal to the construction of a Memorial Great Gate and Gallery of Fine Arts to be erected across Science Road between the Department of Botany and the northern wing of the Quadrangle. It would serve as a memorial to members of the University who gave their lives in the Second World War.

At a late stage in planning the design was amended to provide a double carriageway through the arch. Building work began in 1956 and was completed in 1958.

The Gallery's Inaugural Exhibition was held in March - April 1959.

The Roll of Honour

The bronze roll of honour which lists the names of
staff, graduates and undergraduates of the
University of Sydney who died in World War II.
It was originally placed beside the Botany entrance
and is now at the foot of the stairway to the Gallery -
enlargement.



Decorative features

— Outside

Decorative features outside the Gallery include:

  • the eastern facade which reflects the sandstone Gothic Revival buildings of the main precinct - pictured above.
  • the western facade which reflects the Mediterranean character that Wilkinson intended for Science Road - pictured above.
  • the coats of arms of the University in the centre of each side - see one below and view image of the other.
  • small especially designed badges with a crown above each representing the arms and navy on the western side and the air force and women's services on the eastern side - see the badge for the airforce below.
  • a lantern on the roof - pictured above and view image and information.
University of Sydney arms The badge for the army The badge for the airforce

The arms of the University
in the centre of
the city-facing side -
enlargement

 

The badge for the army
on the city-facing side -
enlargement

The badge for the airforce
on the west-facing side -
enlargement


— Inside

Decorative features inside the Gallery include:

  • a barrel-vaulted ceiling decorated with detailed plaster strap work - view image.

LB