Fellows of Senate
Sir Philip Sydney Jones
Sir Philip Sydney Jones, physician and surgeon, was a Fellow of Senate of the University of Sydney from 1887 to 1918, and was elected Vice-Chancellor by and from the Fellows between1904 and 1906.
(1836 - 1918)
Fellow of Senate 1887 - 1918, including election by Senate as
Vice-Chancellor 1904 - 1906
His background and career
Philip Sydney Jones was born on 15 April 1836 at Sydney.
Educated in Sydney, he went in 1853 to University College, University of London (MB, 1859; MD, 1860). In 1861 he became a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons by examination, was house surgeon, house physician and resident medical officer in University College Hospital, studied in Paris and returned to Sydney.
Jones opened a practice in College Street. In 1862-72 he was honorary surgeon at the Sydney Infirmary where he performed the first successful reported ovariotomy in 1870. In 1873 he became honorary consulting surgeon. A member of the building committee of Prince Alfred Hospital, he was a director in 1878-83 and in 1904-18 and an honorary consulting physician from 1887. In 1873 he was appointed to the New South Wales Board of Health. In 1876 he gave up general practice and became one of the first consulting physicians. In 1881 he sat on the royal commission on quarantine. In 1883 he represented the New South Wales government at the Medical Congress in Amsterdam.
Interested in science and education, he was an examiner in clinical medicine at the University of Sydney, a Fellow of its Senate in 1887-1918 and Vice-Chancellor in 1904-06.
He was a founding member of the Linnean Society in 1875, a member of the Royal Society of New South Wales from 1867 and honorary secretary of its medical section and a trustee of the Australian Museum until 1918. In 1892 he was president of the third session of the Intercolonial Medical Congress of Australasia. In 1896-97 he was president of the New South Wales branch of the British Medical Association, and in 1909 of the New South Wales Medical Board.
Jones was a founder of the Queen Victoria Homes for Consumptives which in 1897 took over J. H. Goodlet's sanatorium at Thirlmere. He was president of the King's Tableland Sanatorium for Consumptives at Wentworth Falls and in 1912 was appointed to the Tuberculosis Advisory Board. In 1914 he was a leader in founding the National Association for the Prevention and Cure of Consumption and was its first president. In 1905 he was knighted for his work in combating tuberculosis.
Charitable and philanthropic, Jones was honorary medical officer of the City Night Refuge, vice-president of the New South Wales Institution for the Deaf and Dumb and the Blind and a strong supporter of the Kindergarten Union. A devout Congregationalist, he was deacon first at Pitt Street, then at Burwood and in 1889 at Trinity Church, Strathfield, which seceded with its minister from Burwood. He worked for the Congregational Union of New South Wales and the auxiliary to the London Missionary Society and was a member of council of Camden College, the Congregational theological college.
He died on 18 September 1918.
Information taken from the Australian Dictionary of Biography
His membership of Senate
He was a Fellow of Senate of the University of Sydney from 1887 to 1918:
- 1887 – 1913: Fellow elected by a Convocation of electors to fill a vacancy
- 1913 – 1918: Fellow elected by the graduates
and was elected Vice-Chancellor by and from the Fellows from 1904 to 1906.