Decisions of Senate
19 September 2011
Senate made the following decisions at its meeting held in open session on 19 September 2011:
- resolved to admit Associate Professor Gerard Sullivan, retired member of the Academic Staff, to the degree of Master of Health Science ad eundem gradum.
- approved the renomination of Mr Michael Egan as Chair of the Board of the Centenary Institute for a period of three years to 15 October 2014.
- noted that Mr Alec Brennan had been declared elected to membership of the Chair Appointments Committee, the term of office to conclude at the May 2012 Senate meeting.
- approved amendments to the Resolutions of Senate relating to the Constitution of the Faculty of Education and Social Work, with effect from 1 January 2012.
- resolved to endorse the Academic Board’s approval of the proposal from the Faculty of Medicine to transfer the Master of Bioethics, Graduate Diploma in Bioethics and Graduate Certificate in Bioethics from the Faculty of Science to the Faculty of Medicine, with effect from 1 January 2012.
- resolved to endorse the Academic Board’s approval of the proposal from the Faculty of Medicine to amend the admission criteria for the Master of Brain and Mind Sciences, Graduate Certificate in Brain and Mind Sciences, Graduate Diploma in Brain and Mind Sciences and Master of Brain and Mind Sciences in Psychiatry, with effect from 1 January 2012.
- resolved to
– endorse the Academic Board’s approval of the proposal from the Faculty of Pharmacy to delete the Master of Herbal Medicines, Master of Herbal Medicines (Honours), Graduate Diploma of Herbal Medicines and Graduate Certificate in Herbal Medicines; and
– approve the amendment of the Resolutions of Senate related to the Degrees, Diplomas and Certificates in the Faculty of Pharmacy
with effect from 1 January 2012.
- welcomed Ms Rachel Perkins as a new Fellow of Senate.
- approved the following wording to be included in the script read at University graduation ceremonies, with any further amendment to be brought back to Senate by the Vice-Chancellor: It is my pleasure to welcome you here today. In doing so I wish to acknowledge that the campuses of the University of Sydney are located on the traditional lands of a number of Australia’s First Peoples. It is with deep respect for our indigenous past that I acknowledge the Cadigal, Gundungurra and Duruk Peoples and their custodianship of these lands.
- did not support the playing of the National Anthem at graduation ceremonies.
- approved amendment of section 18.1 (Appointment of Heads of School) of the Resolutions of Senate relating to Governance of Faculties, Colleges, College Boards, Boards of Studies, Departments, Schools and Committees.
- appointed Mr Alec Brennan and Professor Marian Baird to membership of the Nominations and Appointments Committee, the term of office to conclude at the May 2012 Senate meeting.
- resolved to delegate the authority of Senate to approve as follows:
– amendments to the constitutions of student organisations – to the Chancellor on the advice of Vice-Chancellor
– amendments to the constitutions of foundations – to the Chancellor on advice of Vice-Chancellor
– appointments to University other organisations, where the appointee is not a Fellow – to the Nominations and Appointments Committee
– appointments to Student Appeals Panel – to the Vice-Chancellor on advice of Registrar
– authority to preside at graduations – to the Chancellor, Deputy Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor, Pro Chancellor and Chair of the Academic Board.
- approved the amended University of Sydney (Delegations of Authority – Administrative Functions) Rule 2010 (as amended) with effect from 4 October 2011.
- appointed Dr Barry Catchlove to fill the vacancy on the University of Sydney Union Board of Directors for the balance of the term of office, i.e. until 31 December 2011.