Decisions of Senate
17 September 2012
Senate made the following non-confidential decisions at its meeting held on 17 September 2012:
- Awards ad eundem gradum: Senate admitted the following retired members of the Academic Staff to the degree of Master of Science in Medicine ad eundem gradum:
Dr Ronald John Balnave, BSc PhD UNSW
Dr Laura Corinne Batmanian, BSc(Hons) PhD Melbourne
Dr John Alexander Burne, BSc(Hons) PhD NE
Dr Gary Mark Lee, BSc PhD UNSW MBA UQ
Dr Gilbert John Vella, BSc(Hons) PhD UNSW DipEd STC
- Delegations of Authority: Senate approved the amended Rule as the University of Sydney (Delegations of Authority - Administrative Functions) Rule 2010 (as amended), to commence on 2 October 2012 and, under section 17 of the University of Sydney Act 1989 (as amended), made the recommended delegations.
- Faculty of Dentistry: Senate resolved to endorse the Academic Board’s approval of the proposal to introduce the stream “Oral Rehabilitation” in the Graduate Certificate in Clinical Dentistry; and to approve the amendment of the Resolutions of Senate related to the Degrees, Diplomas and Certificates in the Faculty with effect from 1 January 2013.
- Faculty of Education and Social Work: Senate resolved to endorse the Board’s approval of the proposal to amend the Master of Learning Science and Technology, Graduate Diploma in Learning Science and Technology and Graduate Certificate in Learning Science and Technology; and to approve the amendment of the Resolutions of Senate related to the Degrees and Diplomas in the Faculty with effect from 1 January 2013.
- Faculty of Law: Senate approved the following selection committee for the Dean and Professor of Law:
Vice-Chancellor and Principal, Dr Michael Spence
Chair of the Academic Board, Associate Professor Peter McCallum
Provost and Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Professor Stephen Garton
Members appointed by Senate:
Three Faculty members (plus reserves) nominated by the Vice-Chancellor: Professor Anne Twomey, Professor Vivienne Bath and Mr Jamie Glister
Reserves: Professor Mary Crock, Professor David Kinley and Associate Professor Tim Stephens
One member external to the University nominated by the Vice-Chancellor: Professor Carolyn Evans
Additional member (Chair of Division): Professor Duncan Ivison
- Faculty of Medicine: Senate resolved to endorse the Board’s approval of the proposal to delete the Master of Medical Humanities, Graduate Diploma in Medical Humanities and Graduate Certificate in Medical Humanities; and to approve the amendment of the Resolutions of Senate related to the Degrees, Diplomas and Certificates in the Faculty with effect from 1 January 2013.
- Vice-Chancellor approved the reappointment of Dr Michael Spence as Vice-Chancellor for a second five-year term to commence on 1 July 2013.
- Women's College Senate, in accordance with the requirements of the Crown Grant of lands to the University of 1855, resolved to approve the appointment of Mr Alan Cameron AO and Dr Michael Spence as the Senate’s two nominated trustees of Women’s College lands, and to encourage Women’s College to join St John’s, Sancta Sophia and St Paul’s in making the legal changes required to remove the need for the Senate to undertake this process every time the University’s senior officers changed.