Decisions of Senate
5 December 2011
Senate made the following non-confidential decisions at its meeting held on 5 December 2011:
- approved the 2012 Budget.
- with regard to construction of the Centre for Obesity, Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease (CODCD), delegated to the Vice-Chancellor on the advice of the Chair of the Buildings and Estates Committee and the Chair of the Finance and Audit Committee the authority to enter into the contemplated contract with Brookfield Multiplex Pty Ltd Design and Construct (D&C) GMP, subject to the value of the scope of the contract being no greater than $225m.
- resolved as follows, and to approve the amendment of the Resolutions of Senate related to the Faculty's Degrees, Diplomas and Certificates, with effect from 1 January 2012:
to endorse the Academic Board’s approval of the proposal from the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences to delete the Master of Professional Communication, Graduate Diploma in Professional Communication and Graduate Certificate in Professional Communication.
to endorse the Board’s approval of the proposal from the Faculty of Medicine to amend the Master of Medicine (Sleep Medicine), Master of Science in Medicine (Sleep Medicine) and Graduate Diploma in Sleep Medicine.
to endorse the Academic Board’s approval of the proposal from the Faculty of Medicine to amend the list of streams available in the Master of Surgery.
- congratulated Mr Benjamin Veness on his re-election as undergraduate Fellow of Senate and welcomed him to the meeting.
- congratulated Mr James Flynn on his election as postgraduate Fellow of Senate and welcomed him to the meeting.
- approved the proposal to effect changes to the Crown Grant of 18 January 1855 and to Residential College sub-grants, noting that the changes to the sub-grant held by a particular College would only come into effect if the governing body for that College so resolved.
- resolved to adopt the Retro-Paid Loss Workers’ Compensation Insurance Scheme.
- adopted the Smoke Free Environments Policy.
- endorsed the strategy for redefining the role and responsibilities of the University and its relationship with the University of Sydney Union as presented, and agreed that the University continue to move towards a negotiated agreement for the progressive transfer of the venue management and retail operations.
- appointed Dr Barry Catchlove as a representative of Senate to the University of Sydney Union Board of Directors for a one year term of office commencing on 1 January 2012.