Fellows of Senate
Dr Robin Beryl Fitzsimons
Dr Robin Fitzsimons was a Fellow of Senate elected by and from the graduates of the University of Sydney for 12 years (three terms) from 1 December 1997 to 30 November 2009.
While a Fellow, Dr Fitzsimons served as a member of the following Senate committees:
- Ad Hoc committee to consider strategies for increasing funding of the University from the Federal Government (1999)
- Advisory Committee for Honorary Awards (2000 - 2007)
- Chair Appointments Committee (2000 - 2009)
- Honorary Awards Review Committee (2001)
- Nominations Committee (2005, 2008)
- Senate Committee to review any proposed state legislation or announcements concerning such legislation (2004)
- Senate/SUPRA Liaison Committee (2000 - 2003)
- (former) Student Appeals Committee (Exclusions and Readmissions) (2000)
As a Fellow of Senate, Robin was Senate’s representative on the Women’s College Council from 1999 to 2009 and, as a graduate Fellow, was a member of the Alumni Council from 2006 to 2009.
Robin was a member of the University delegation to Paris to participate in the OECD Forum in June 2009.
Some of the many University functions which Robin attended as Fellow were:
- the University of Sydney UK Alumni reception in London, UK 2009
- a reception in honour of the retiring Alumni Council President, Dr Barry Catchlove 2009
- the Alumni Dinner for the Hon Michael Kirby AC 2009
- Graduate Connection Breakfast 2008
- the SRC’s 80th Anniversary Gala Reception 2008
- the annual SUGUNA dinner in Philadelphia, USA 2008
- the University of Sydney Day at Fudan University 2008
- the University of Sydney Dinner, Shanghai, PRC 2008
- the University of Sydney Union Annual Dinner and Alumni Forum 2008
- the SUS Blue and Gold Luncheon for the Sydney Olympians 2008
MB BS BSc(Med) PhD Sydney, FRACP
Fellow of Senate: 1 December 1997 - 30 November 2009
Dr Fitzsimons is a neurologist, scientist and journalist. Her positions/achievements have included: Medical Graduates Council; former NH&MRC Postgraduate Research Scholar; Coppleson Institute Travelling Fellow (LMB, Cambridge); SRC; UK Alumni Council; and SUWU President; Resident (Professorial Unit) Sydney Hospital; MRC (UK) Visiting Senior Scientist (RPMS, London); Visiting Scholar, Wolfson College, Cambridge; and Hon Senior Research Fellow, National Hospital for Neurology, London. She has published numerous international research publications in muscular dystrophy/muscle science., and her Journalistic experience includes contributions to International Herald Tribune, South China Morning Post, The Times (London), The Canberra Times and SMH.