Click on images of Senate meetings for enlargement.
The Senate Room was converted from the Library Room in 1911.
The Senate Room, Quadrangle, after its conversion from the Library, 1911, photo G3_224_452, University Archives.
5 February 1951
A Special Senate meeting was held at 3.45pm on Monday 5 February 1951 in the Senate Room at the University of Sydney in celebration of the first Senate meeting held on 3 February 1851.
Seated from left to right are Deputy Chancellor the Hon Mr Justice Roper; His Excellency the Governor of New South Wales, Lieutenant-General Sir John Northcott; Chancellor Sir Charles Bickerton Blackburn opening the Special Meeting of Senate; the Hon K W Street, Chief Justice of New South Wales; and Vice-Chancellor Emeritus Professor S H Roberts.
The Senate Room in about 1960, photo, G3_224_1896, University of Sydney Archives.
21 August 1967
The Senate meeting on 21 August 1967 was the final meeting for retiring Vice-Chancellor Sir Stephen Roberts CMG.
The Senate meeting on 21 August 1967, the final meeting for retiring Vice-Chancellor Sir Stephen Roberts CMG. The Chancellor, Sir Charles McDonald, is seated in the centre, and Sir Stephen Roberts is on (our) right, photo, University Archives.
A Senate meeting in the 1980s prior to 1986, with Sir Hermann Black presiding, to his right Deputy Chancellor The Hon Mr Justice David Mayer Selby AM, and to his left Vice-Chancellor Professor John Ward, Lady Black and Arthur Mason, photo G77_1_2406, University of Sydney Archives.
7 July 1986
The meeting on 7 July 1986 was the first Senate meeting open to members of the public.
At the far right of the photo are Deputy Chancellor Mrs Daphne Kok, Chancellor Sir Hermann Black and Vice-Chancellor and Principal Professor John Manning Ward at the main table at the Senate meeting on 7 July 1986, the first Senate meeting open to members of the public, photo G77_1_918, University Archives. View the list of Fellows of Senate present at the meeting.
At the left of the photo are Deputy Chancellor Mrs Daphne Kok, Chancellor Sir Hermann Black and Vice-Chancellor and Principal Professor John Manning Ward, photo G77_1_991, University Archives.
Fellows of Senate seated at the opposite end of the table, photo G77_1_925, University Archives.
A Senate meeting in 1988, with Chancellor Sir Hermann Black, Deputy Chancellor Mrs Daphne Kok and Vice-Chancellor Professor John Manning Ward, photos G77_1_994 (top) and G77_1_924 (above), University Archives.
4 December 1989
The University's Television Service filmed the historic occasion of the last meeting of the 'old' Senate as constituted under the University and University Colleges Act 1900. The 'new' Senate, which was constituted under the University of Sydney Act 1989 and which held its first regular meeting on 5 February 1990, would perform the same functions as the 'old' Senate but its maximum membership had been reduced from 30 to 22.
Deputy Chancellor Professor Dame Leonie Kramer presided in the absence of the Chancellor Sir Hermann Black and the Vice-Chancellor and Principal Professor John Ward addressed the meeting, photo G77_1_990, University Archives.
Photo G77_1_928, University Archives.
Photo G77_1_929, University Archives.
The Senate Room today
The Senate Room today, photo, University Secretariat.