Students at the University of Sydney
Residential colleges - the early days
ST ANDREW'S COLLEGE
St Andrew's College is a non-denominational independent institution of Protestant origins and is one of the incorporated residential colleges within the University of Sydney.
The St Andrew's College Incorporation Act received Royal Assent on 12 December 1867 and the College Council first met in 1870. This Act was only replaced by an updated Act, the St Andrew's College Act, as recently as 1998.
The foundation stone for the sandstone Scottish baronial building now known as the Main Building was laid in May 1874. While the buildings were being constructed, the first students were admitted to temporary accommodation at Cypress Hall, Newtown.
The College was officially opened on 22 July 1876.
The College accepted women undergraduates from 2002, and a new Carillon Avenue building was completed in 2007.
Today the College has a population of over 285 male and female undergraduates, resident Fellows and graduate residents.
Click on most images for enlargement.
The first and second Principals
Rev John Kinross was elected first Principal of St Andrew's College in February 1872, but withdrew when the legality of the election was challenged. In April 1875, after Rev Thomson died, he was again elected Principal, serving until his retirement in 1901. The photo of Rev Kinross is from the 'Australian Town and Country Journal', 25 November 1899, National Library of Australia.
In the 1870s
An artist's impression of St Andrew's College building in 1874, image from the 'Australian Town and Country Journal', 17 January 1874, National Library of Australia.
This photo was probably taken shortly after the building was completed in 1876, from the Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW, digital order number a089467.
In the 1880s
A student's room in St Andrew's College in 1886, photo G3_224_1741, University of Sydney Archives.
St Andrew's College in 1887, photo from the Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW, digital order number a089466.
Donald McKay Barnet, Thomas Thorburn and Robert Dick at St Andrew's College, University of Sydney. Falk Studios, 1888, June Wallace papers, Caroline Simpson Library & Research Collection, Historic Houses Trust of NSW.
In the early 1900s
St Andrew's College in 1902, photo from 'Hermes" Jubilee edition 1902, University of Sydney Archives.
St Andrew's College Rugby Football Team in 1905, photo G3_224_1296, University of Sydney Archives.
In the 1920s
St Andrew's College Rowing Team, in an eight on the water, in 1922, photo G3_224_0885, University of Sydney Archives.
St Andrew's College students in 1923, photo G3_224_0884, University of Sydney Archives.
The St Andrews College Team, runners up for Sydney University's 256 yards Intercollegiate Swimming Championship at Domain Baths on Saturday 17 November 1923, photo, The Sydney Mail, Google News Archive. From left: D Barnet, J Allen, J Broughton, J Street and L Malcolm. Wesley College won.
St Andrew's College in 1927, photo P183_1_0080 by Harold Cazneaux, University of Sydney Archives.
St Andrew's College Building in 1927, photo P183_1_0034 by Harold Cazneaux, University of Sydney Archives.
In the 1930s
At the opening of the annual inter-collegiate rugby union matches at Sydney University oval in 1931. J Simpson (St Andrew's) about to pass the ball out to the backs, after receiving from H V Barratt. St Paul's beat St Andrew's by 9 to 5, photo from 'The Sydney Morning Herald', 16 July 1931, National Library of Australia, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article16793397.
On the rain-saturated oval at Sydney University on 26 July 1933, St Andrew's College defeated St. Paul's College by 9 points to 3, photo from 'The Sydney Morning Herald', 27 July 1933, National Library of Australia, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article28027459.
St Andrew's College, winners of the inter-collegiate championship eights: R H King (cox), H D Raffan (stroke), McGill, F . Page, A W Rourke, D R Harbison, D H Craig, R J B Parkill and N D Butcher (bow), photo from 'The Sydney Morning Herald', 24 April 1933,, National Library of Australia, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article16974534.
Sydney University Boat Clubs Annual Rowing Regatta on the Parramatta River 1934. During the race for the inter-collegiate championship eights on 14 April 1934, St Andrew;s College (on extremem left) were the winners. The others are, from left, wesley College (2nd), St Paul's (3rd) and St John's, photo from 'The Sydney Morning Herald', 16 April 1934, National Library of Australia, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article17050321.
In the 1950s
Above: Sydney decorator Marion Best used her formula of strong exciting colour contrasts for the 55 dormitory rooms which she decorated in the new dormitory block, designed by architect Emil Sodersten, at St Andrew's College, in 1953. Six different colour schemes were chosen by Mrs Best for the single bed dormitories. One of the rooms, pictured above, has one tan wall, two turquoise grey walls, a third wall entirely of built-in cupboards of natural coachwood to match the furniture, mustard and white duck for the divan cover, dark green and white tartan cushions, burnt orange big checks, and the armchair is in dark green leather, photo and information from 'The Sydney Morning Herald, 21 May 1953, National Library of Australia, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article18372005.
Above: Miss Judy MacMillan dancing along one of the corridors of the St Andrew's College with Mr Tony Lawson at the 'Formal' of St Andrew's College in July 1953. More than 400 guests who attended the dance crowded the tiny ballroom and spilled over into the hallways. Miss McMillan wore a bouffant gown of navy and white organza, photo from 'The Sunday Herald', 19 July 1953, National Library of Australia, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article18519351.
Diana Rowring, Peter Kiel and Pat Storey at the St Andrews College informal dance given by the students on Friday 14 May 1954, which was attended by more than 600 students and their guests, photo, The Sun-Herald, 16 May 1954, National Library of Australia.
Elsie Mann and Harry Chambers dancing in the ballroom at the College informal dance on 145 May 1954, photo, The Sun-Herald, 16 May 1954, National Library of Australia.
Judy Smithers and Peter Lloyd Jones chatting over the balastrade at the College informal dance on 14 May 1954, photo, The Sun-Herald, 16 May 1954, National Library of Australia.
St Andrew's Main Building today, photo by J Bar.
St Andrew's new Carillon Avenue building which was completed in 2007, photo from sydneyarchitecture .