Students at the University of Sydney
Students in the early years
This webpage provides brief information about the beginnings / establishment of the Faculty of Dentistry, and photos of its early students and graduates.
View more informaiton and photos about early women Dentistry students.
On this webpage:
Click on images for enlargement.
FACULTY OF DENTISTRY 1920
||The Dentists Act 1901 provided for the licensing of dental practitioners.
||A Department of Dental Studies was established by the University, with the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine as its head. In March, the Dental School opened in a room in Selbourne Chambers in the city with 17 students, offering a curriculum of three years leading to a Licence in Dentistry.
||The first seventeen Licence in Dentistry students were 13 men: John Bradley, William Carroll, Cecil Charlton, Frederick Crouch, George Cozens, Alfred Dolan, Edgar MacTaggart, Frank Marshall, Charles Medcalf, James Neals, Bevan Neave, Henry Robinson and Leslie Stockwell
2 women: Beatrice Larkins and Annie Praed
2 unmatriculated students: Robert Gunnell and Alan Russell
||As Selbourne Chambers soon proved unsatisfactory, the University opened the University Dental Hospital opposite St Andrew's Cathedral, to provide dental care for persons unable to pay normal dental fees and to provide clinical instruction to dental students of the University.
||The State Government established a separate Dental Hospital of Sydney at 219 Elizabeth Street, to provide dental care for the poor.
||The University introduced a four-year Bachelor of Dental Surgery course, replacing the Licence in Dental Surgery course.
||The two hospitals amalgamated in June to form the United Dental Hospital of Sydney. Its operations were carried on in the building previously occupied by the University Dental Hospital, at the corner of George and Bathurst Streets.
||The first thirteen Bachelor of Dental Surgery graduates were 11 men: Harold Bond, John Bradley, Frederick Crouch, Alfred Dolan, Howard Hardie, Edgar MacTaggart, Frank Marshall, Cecil Moxham, Bevan Neave and John Starkey
and 2 women: Annie Praed and Margaret (Madge) Barnes (later Maltby-Robinson)
||The premises of the United Dental Hospital of Sydney soon proved unsatisfactory. The Government provided the site and funding for construction of a new hospital in Chalmers Street, Surry Hills, Sydney, near Central Railway.
||The new United Dental Hospital in Chalmers Street opened in February.
||A separate Faculty of Dentistry was established.
||Edward Haggett was awarded the first degree of Doctor of Dental Science.
||Robert Harris was awarded the first Master of Dental Surgery.
||David Cameron was awarded the first Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Dentistry.
||The Faculty became the first Dental Faculty in Australia to offer a formal, full-time postgraduate degree in dentistry, the Master of Dental Science (MDSc).
||The Faculty introduced a 4-year graduate-entry program (the Bachelor of Dentistry), the first graduate-entry program offered by a Dental School in Australia.
||There were 256 women and 279 men enrolled in the Faculty as at 31 March.
In the early 1900s
In the waiting room at the Dental Hospital of Sydney in Elizabeth Street in early 1903. This had been opened by the Government in 1902, and three years later amalgamated with the University Dental Hospital to form the United Dental Hospital of Sydney, photo, The Sydney Mail, 4 February 1903, Google News Archive.
General surgery at the Dental Hospital of Sydney in 1903, photo, The Sydney Mail, 4 February 1903, Google News Archive.
Office and examination room at the Dental Hospital of Sydney in Elizabeth Street in early 1903, photo, The Sydney Mail, 4 February 1903, Google News Archive.
Anaesthetic and extracting surgery at the Dental Hospital of Sydney in Elizabeth Street in early 1903, photo, The Sydney Mail, 4 February 1903, Google News Archive.
Dentist John Drew's dental surgery in Scone c1905, photo, Mithcell Library, State Library of NSW, Digital order no. bcp_03902.
Dentistry students constructing dentures in 1905, photo G3_224_1475, University of Sydney Archives.
The first Dentistry graduates in 1906 with Annie Praed and Margaret (Madge) Barnes (later Maltby-Robinson) in the front row, photo G3_224_1482, University of Sydney Archives.
Lieutenant Stanley Callaghan who, while in his 3rd year in Dentistry, enlisted in the 9th Field Ambulance. He was killed in action in October 1917, photo, 'Hermes', June 1918.,
The new United Dental Hospital in Chalmers Street which opened in 1912, photo G3_224_0677_1, dated 1920, University of Sydney Archives.
Dentist H G Sinfield in Glen Innes dental surgery c1912, photo, Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW, Digital order no. bcp_02673.
Dentistry students in 1919, photo G3_224_1299, University of Sydney Archives.
The Dental Hospital in Chalmers Street (left) was severely damaged by a fire that broke out late on 17 June 1919 in the adjoining 8 storey premises of Burnet and Co Ltd (centre), wholesale grocers, photo, City of Sydney Archives, file 001\001002.
Another view of the fire damage to Burnet and Co Ltd (centre), the adjoining Dental Hospital on the left and the Crescent shirt factory on the right, on 17 June 1919, photo, City of Sydney Archives, file 001\001005.
In the 1920s
The interior of the Dental Hospital in Chalmers Street in 1920 showing dentists' chairs, photo G3_224_0677_1, University of Sydney Archives.
The Faculty of Dentistry in 1921, photo G3_224_1301, University of Sydney Archives.
In the 1930s
A Dentistry student extracts a tooth on Commem Day 1932, photo, Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW, Digital order number: hood_03872.
The 9th Australian Dental Conference in 1937, at Sydney University, photo, Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW, Digital order no. hood_08530.
In 1929, plans to add to the 1912 United Dental Hospital building because of overcrowding were replaced by plans for a new building adjoining the original building. Pictured above is the new Dental Hospital building, adjoining the 1912 building, under construction in Chalmers Street in 1938 a table was unveiled by the Minister for Health, photo, The Sydney Morning Herald, 27 August 1938, National Library of Australia.
The new United Dental Hospital building, adjoining the 1912 building, during construction in 1939, photo G3_224_0678_2, University of Sydney Archives.
Third Year Dentistry students in 1939, photo G3_224_2127, University of Sydney Archives.
In the 1940s
Some of the 21 graduates registering at the Chief Secretary's office for practice under the Dental Board of NSW in December 1940, photo, The Sydney Morning Herald, 21 December 1940, National Library of Australia.
A dentist and child patient at Sydney Dental Hospital in 1947, photo A1200, L9166, National Archives of Australia.
Operating Theatre Dental Clinic [Surgeon, nurse and patient, Sydney Dental Hospital, ca. 1948], by Frank Hurley, photo, National Library of Australia, Bib ID: 1614237.
A group of graduates in Dental Surgery in January 1947 talking in the Quadrangle after receiving their degrees, photo, The Sydney Morning Herald, 17 January 1947, National Library of Australia.
Dentistry graduates congratulating one another after the conferring of degrees ceremony in late January 1948, photo, Daily Advertiser, 31 January 1948, National Library of Australia.
The corner of Elizabeth and Chalmers Streets, with the United Dental Hospital (2-12 Chalmers Street) on the right right, showing trams, tram lines & cars passing roadworks in 1949, photo, City of Sydney Archives, file 044\044663.
In the 1950s
In 1954, work on extensions to the Dental Hospital, which had commenced in 1947 but were suspended through lack of funds, resumed and absorbed the 1912 building, photo, The Sydney Morning Herald, 26 January 1954, National Library of Australia.
The Dental Hospital in Chalmers Street in the late 1950s following completion of the extensions, looking east, photo G3_224_0678_1, University of Sydney Archives. In the 1970s, the former MGM Building adjoining the Dental Hospital, which had opened in 1933, was purchased by the Health Commission of NSW with the financial support of the Australian Universities Commission, and converted into facilities for the Faculty.
The United Dental Hospital in 1957, showing trams, tram lines, pedestrians and bus, photo, City of Sydney Archives, file 044\044663.
The class of 1959's graduation picture, photo, 'Faculty of Dentistry Newsletter', Summer 2009.
In the 1960s
In the 1970s
In July 1972, Dental student Anthony Fikar has his jaw movements analysed by the Mandibular Kinematograph, invented by Professor C J Griffin, photo, The Australian Women's Weekly, 19 July 1972, National Library of Australia.
In the 1980s
Westmead Dental Clinical School, the Faculty's second clinical school, was opened ion 27 April 1981 by the Governor of NSW, Sir James Rowland, photo, The Gazette, September 1981. The first 24 final year dental students began their clinical training at the Westmead Centre in earlyu March and another 24 final year students joined them in second term. They spent 4.5 days a week at Westmead, giving basic dental treatment to patients, and a half day at Chalmers Street.
In the 1990s
Dentistry staff members, Associate Professor Cyril Thomas (left) and Professor lven Klineberg advising visitors at the Courses and Careers exhibition in 1992, photo, University of Sydney Annual Report 1992.
Dental students at the front entrance of the Sydney Dental Hospital in 2011, photo, Shanghai killer whale, Wikipedia.
Bachelor of Oral Health graduates in February 2009, photo, Faculty of Dentistry news.
A Year 3 Dentistry student at work in 2009 using a phantom head to hold plastic tooth models and other attachments, in the new simulation clinic, photo, Faculty of Dentistry newsletter, summer 2009.
The new Simulation Clinic in “operation” in 2009 with Year 3 Bachelor of Dentistry students at work, using the A-DEC dental equipment, photo, Faculty of Dentistry newsletter, summer 2009.
Group of BDent students enjoying the roaring 20s Dental Ball in May 2009, photo, Faculty of Dentistry newsletter, summer 2009.
Sydney Dental students at the Wild Wild West Pub Crawl in July 2009, during the Australian Dental Students Convention in Perth, photo, Faculty of Dentistry newsletter, summer 2009..
Years 2 and 3 Bachelor of Oral Health students welcomed the new Bachelor of Oral Health 1 students entering the course in March 2012, photo, Faculty of Dentistry news.