Students at the University of Sydney
Students in the early years
This webpage provides brief information about the beginnings / establishment of faculties of the University of Sydney, and photos of their early students and graduates.
On this webpage:
Click on images for enlargement.
FACULTY OF EDUCATION 1986 (now Faculty of Education & Social Work)
|The University||Sydney Teachers College|
|Education lectureships in the Faculty of Arts had been established around 1900. The first chair in Education at the University was established in 1910, when Alexander Mackie, the principal of Sydney Teachers College, became a professor in Education in the Faculty of Arts.||In 1906 several colleges merged to form Sydney Teachers College at Blackfriars.
|In 1940, the Education Department was established in the Faculty of Arts, and the University began training social workers.||Sydney Teachers College lectures were conducted mostly at Hereford House, Glebe Point Road, until 1922 when the College moved into the Teachers College building on the grounds of the University. Despite its close physical and academic association with the University, it was independent of the University.|
|The Faculty of Education was established in 1986.||In 1982 Sydney Teachers College became Sydney Institute of Education, one of five founding institutes within the new Sydney College of Advanced Education.|
|In 1990 Sydney Institute of Education integrated into the Faculty of Education.|
|In 2003 Social Work joined Education in the newly named Faculty of Education and Social Work.|
|Update: In 2010 there were 2,962 student enrolments in the Faculty of Education and Social Work, most of whom (2,235) were women.|