Students at the University of Sydney
Student clubs and organisations
Sydney Uni Sport & Fitness (SUSF)]]
Sydney Uni Sport & Fitness runs the University's representative, social and faculty sports programs. It also runs the campus gyms and the swimming pool ... visit the SUSF website.
On this webpage:
- Early sporting clubs from 1863, for men and women
- Sydney University (Men's) Sports Union 1890
- Sydney University Women’s Sports Association 1910
- Amalgamation of the two unions into Sydney Uni Sport, 2003
It is thought that the first University sporting club formed was the football club dating from 1863.
Some early men's sporting clubs
A cricket club was founded 1865, and in 1866 the Senate resolved that part of the University grounds be reserved temporarily as a cricket ground.
In the 1880s many new sporting clubs were founded, including the Boat Club in 1884 and the Athletic Club in 1885.
The most successful of the new clubs was the Tennis Club, also founded in 1885. The club was allocated four grass courts where the Quadrangle was situated, close to the Men’s and Ladies’ common rooms, allowing the men to watch the women playing and make disparaging comments on their game. In 1887 a separate Ladies’ Tennis Club was formed, the first women’s sporting club at the University.
Some early women's sporting clubs
Sydney University Sports Union (SUSU) was formed in 1890 for men students.
Women’s participation in sport at the University flourished in the early twentieth century and in 1910 the Sydney University Women’s Sports Association (SUWSA) was founded, followed by a campaign began for grounds and facilities for women’s sports.
In November 1911 the Buildings Grounds and Improvements Committee of the University recommended that three tennis courts be constructed for the women students in a position
to the east of the main front and between the curved path from the Derwent Street entrance and Parramatta Road (on the sloping ground in front of the main building). Senate granted not only the land but the cost of constructing the courts and also building, plumbing and outfitting the adjoining dressing room (later known as the Clubhouse). The courts were ready for play by 1913. These were the first purpose-built sporting facilities built specifically for the use of women.
The Hockey Club was formed in 1908 and in 1914 the SUWSA began a campaign to acquire a hockey ground. In 1916 the Senate granted the SUWSA’s application, allowing use of the ground known as the Square, which lay between the Oval and Manning House. The Hockey Square was ready for use by 1921.
In 2003, SUSU and SUWSA amalgamated to form Sydney Uni Sport.
Several years later the name was changed to Sydney Uni Sport & Fitness.