Terms of reference
The Research Committee will:
- Develop a comprehensive plan to deliver the University’s research strategies for consideration by SEG.
- Monitor implementation of that plan.
- Provide advice to SEG on faculty and divisional research strategies, including the development of research compacts, and on other matters relating to research activities.
- Formulate, monitor and report to SEG key research performance indicators and advise SEG on strategies to improve performance.
- Monitor developments in domestic and international research policy and practice and advise SEG on how the University should respond.
- Assess proposals for major research initiatives requiring significant University funding, particularly those which are cross-disciplinary initiatives, and make recommendations to SEG regarding research investment.
- Monitor and review programs to extend the leadership skills of researchers heading major research initiatives.
- Provide advice regarding other forms of research support which will improve performance, sustain areas of research strength, provide seed support for emerging areas of research strength and develop new areas.
- With the Academic Board, develop a program for the systematic review and development of research policies.
- Assess requests for funding through Research portfolio schemes.
- Assess capacity and appropriateness of research infrastructure facilities and advise SEG on possible areas for future investment.
- Monitor and report to SEG on matters of research integrity.
- Develop and monitor strategies to raise awareness about the University’s research, and improve public access to research expertise, resources and outcomes.
Ex Officio Members:
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Research (Chair)
- Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Strategic Collaboration and Partnerships (Deputy Chair)
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Education (or nominee)
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Indigenous Strategy and Services (or nominee)
- One person appointed by each faculty
- Chair of the Academic Board (or nominee)
- Chair of the Academic Standards and Policy Committee of the Academic Board
- Vice-Principal (Operations) (or nominee)
- One person nominated by the Office of Global Engagement
- Directors, Research Portfolio (or nominee)
- Director, Indigenous Research
- Directors, Professional Services Units (or nominee): Campus Infrastructure Services (CIS); Financial Services; Human Resources (HR); Information & Communications Technology (ICT); Library
- Chair, Research Managers Network (or nominee)
- Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) Stewards, Research Portfolio
- General Counsel (or nominee)
- Director, Higher Education Policy and Projects, Office of the Vice Chancellor and Principal (or nominee)
Other attendees may be invited by the Chair as appropriate.
Quorum: A quorum for a meeting of the Committee shall be thirteen (13) members.
Frequency of meetings: Monthly