Terms of reference
The Research Training Committee will:
- Monitor performance across the University in research training, and develop strategies to improve outcomes in this area, particularly as they relate to embedding opportunities for research experience in teaching and learning. The committee will also identify and promote best practice across the University in relation to research training and support for HDR students.
- Provide advice to SEG on divisional research training strategies and on other matters relating to the experience of undergraduate honours and higher-degree-by-research students and the administration of their candidature.
- Review the University’s PhD program.
- Work with the Curriculum and Course Planning Committee, to develop proposals to enhance the pathways to higher degrees by research.
- Develop policies and procedures to improve the experience of higher-degree-by-research (HDR) students, the framework for research training and the facilities required to achieve the University’s goals with respect to HDR education.
- Oversee development of coordinated faculty, divisional and University-wide programs for research supervisor induction, and for research supervisor training and mentoring at all career stages.
- Recommend to SEG improved models for the allocation of income from research students, consistent with the University
- One member of SEG (chair)
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Education
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Research (or nominee)
- One member appointed by each divisional board
- Chair, Academic Board (or nominee)
- Chair of the Indigenous Strategy and Services Committee (or nominee)
- Director, Academic Affairs
- Director, Institute for Teaching and Learning
- Director, Student Support Services
- One representative from Learning Solutions
- A student nominated by the SRC
- A student nominated by SUPRA
- General Counsel or nominee (in attendance)