About the conference
The conference will cover all areas of Thai studies, including the humanities; the social sciences including economic, social and political disciplines; developments in medicine, science and technology; the fine arts, design and architecture; education; environment. This is not an exhaustive list.
Special attention will be given to panels and presentations under the theme Thailand in the World. This theme will focus especially, but not exclusively, on:
- the global spread of Thai culture: pan- Tai-ism; the Thai diaspora especially in Europe, North America and Australasia
- the world in Thailand: the expatriate impact on Thailand; institutional change from outside
- Thailand in the coming Southeast Asian economic, social and cultural communities
- Thailand’s geo-political setting, with special reference to Myanmar, China and the Greater Mekong Sub-region
- Thailand within international communities of education, medicine and scientific and technological research
- Thai art and visual representation in an age of global circulation.
During the conference, there will also be a variety of exhibitions and presentations of cinema and art.