About the conference
The 12th International Conference on Thai Studies (ICTS12) will be held at the University of Sydney, Australia, over three days 22-24 April 2014. The conference is held every three years, hosted alternately by Thai universities and universities outside of Thailand where there is an interest in Thai studies.
The conference will cover all areas of Thai studies, including the humanities; the social sciences including economic, social and political disciplines; developments in medicine, science and technology; the fine arts, design and architecture; education; environment. This is not an exhaustive list.
Special attention will be given to panels and presentations under the theme Thailand in the World. This theme will focus especially, but not exclusively, on:
- the global spread of Thai culture: pan- Tai-ism;
- the Thai diaspora especially in Europe, North America and Australasia
- the world in Thailand: the expatriate impact on Thailand; institutional change from outside
- Thailand in the coming Southeast Asian economic, social and cultural communities
- Thailand’s geo-political setting, with special reference to Myanmar, China and the Greater Mekong Sub-region
- Thailand within international communities of education, medicine and scientific and technological research
- Thai art and visual representation in an age of global circulation.
During the conference, there will also be a variety of exhibitions and presentations of cinema and art.
The conference will take place at the New Law School Foyer (F10) and the Eastern Avenue complex (F19), Camperdown Campus at the University of Sydney.
Visit the campus map and search for the building codes (in brackets above) to identify the exact location of the buildings.