Confirmation - Academic staff only
Academic staff appointed on a continuing basis may be required to serve a confirmation period after the successful completion of probation. A confirmation period will generally be no less than three years and must not exceed:
- five years for staff appointed at Level A; and
- four years for staff appointed at Level B or above.
During the confirmation period, the staff member’s Supervisor will inform them of any deficiencies in their performance or conduct and the improvements necessary to meet the required standard. Performance will be assessed in accordance with the Performance Management and Development Program referred to in clause 241.
Except in cases of Serious Misconduct, a staff member whose performance or conduct is not meeting the required standard and who, as a result, is at risk of having their employment terminated under clause 75 will be given a written notification to this effect (a Performance Warning). The employment of a staff member who engages in Serious Misconduct may be terminated under clause 75 without such prior written notification.
A confirmation period may be extended if the staff member’s Supervisor considers that an extension is warranted because:
- the Supervisor has concerns about the staff member’s performance or conduct during the initial confirmation period; or
- the staff member has been absent from the workplace to such an extent that it has not been possible to assess the staff member’s performance during the initial confirmation period;
provided that the total confirmation period, including any extension, does not exceed the maximum periods specified in clause 71.
Termination of employment during confirmation period
At any time up to the end of the confirmation period, including any extended confirmation period, a staff member’s employment may be terminated:
- by the staff member or the University, on 26 weeks’ notice; or
- by the University, immediately without notice or payment in lieu of notice if the staff member has engaged in Serious Misconduct.
The notice period in clause 75 will be taken to have commenced from the date that the Performance Warning referred to in clause 73 was issued to the staff member.
The University may substitute payment in lieu of all or any part of any period of notice of termination.
The University must not terminate a staff member’s employment under clause 75 unless the staff member has been informed of, and given an opportunity to respond to, any adverse material about them.