Part G: Management of work and performance
Staff may be directed by the University to carry out such duties as are consistent with the nature of their appointment, classification and employment fraction and are within their skill, capability and training and are without risks to health and safety. Other factors to be taken into account when assigning work will include:
- the importance of maintaining an appropriate balance between work and family life;
- provision of appropriate opportunities for career development;
- the working hours specified in this Agreement; and
- ensuring equity within each work unit.
The Parties are committed to the protection and promotion of intellectual freedom within the University, including the rights of:
Academic staff to:
engage in the free and responsible pursuit of all aspects of knowledge and culture through independent research, and to the dissemination of the outcomes of research in discussion, in teaching, as publications and creative works and in public debate; and
Academic, General and English language teaching staff to:
- participate in the representative institutions of governance within the University in accordance with the statutes, rules and terms of reference of the institutions;
- express opinions about the operation of the University and higher education policy in general;
- participate in professional and representative bodies, including Unions, and to engage in community service without fear of harassment, intimidation or unfair treatment in their employment; and
- express unpopular or controversial views, provided that in doing so staff must not engage in harassment, vilification or intimidation.
The Parties agree to:
- uphold the principle and practice of intellectual freedom in accordance with the highest ethical, professional and legal standards; and
- encourage and support transparency in the pursuit of intellectual freedom within its governing and administrative bodies, including through the ability to make protected disclosures in accordance with relevant legislation.
- Academic staff to: