Salaries and salary increases
The rates of pay applicable to the classifications referred to in clause 79 are set out in Schedule 1. These rates include the following increases during the term of the Agreement:
- 3% from the first full pay period on or after 1 September 2009
- 2% from the first full pay period on or after 1 January 2010
- 2.5% from the first full pay period on or after 1 July 2010
- 2.5% from the first full pay period on or after 1 January 2011
- 2.5% from the first full pay period on or after 1 July 2011
- 2.5% from the first full pay period on or after 1 January 2012.
Eligibility for the loadings specified in Schedule 1 for Academic staff will be determined by University policy.
Apprentices will be paid in accordance with the following percentages of the Salary prescribed for the first step of HEO Level 3:
- 1st year 45%
- 2nd year 60%
- 3rd year 75%
- 4th year 90%
The University may employ eligible persons as cadets on a fixed term basis. Cadets will receive the following percentage of the applicable rate specified in a href="http://sydney.edu.au/staff/enterprise_agreement/ea_2009-12_schedules/index.shtml">Schedule 1:
- 1st year 60%
- 2nd year 75%
- 3rd year 85%
The University may employ eligible persons on a fixed term basis to be trainees, (i.e. persons who undertake a structured program of paid work and training pursuant to a training agreement registered with the relevant State Training Authority) under the arrangements in place immediately before the commencement of this Agreement.
Supported wage arrangements
Staff who are eligible for a supported salary who meet the impairment criteria for the Disability Support Pension will be paid the applicable percentage of the relevant rate for the work value they are performing in accordance with the Special Supported Wage System (Employees with a Disability) Australian Pay and Classification Scale and the following prescribed rates:
Assessed Capacity % of prescribed salary rate Assessed Capacity % of prescribed salary rate 10% 10% 50% 50% 20% 20% 60% 60% 30% 30% 70% 70% 40% 40% 80% 80% 90% 90%
On completion of twelve months’ paid service, a staff member (other than a staff member who is paid at the highest salary step applicable to their classification level) will be eligible for advancement to the next salary step within their classification level unless their performance has been assessed as “not meeting requirements” under the University’s Performance Management and Development Program in accordance with clause 241 or their conduct has been found to be unsatisfactory. A decision to withhold a salary increment must be authorised by the relevant Supervisor. If incremental progression is withheld or deferred, the staff member will be notified in writing of the reasons and given the opportunity to respond.
Allowances (other than higher duties allowances for General staff) will be paid to eligible staff in accordance with Schedule 3. Except as specified in Schedule 3, the allowances listed in that schedule will be increased during the term if this Agreement in accordance with the percentage increases specified in clause 97 at the times specified in that clause.
General staff may be required to act temporarily in a position which is classified at a higher level than their substantive position. Subject to clauses 105 and 106, staff required to act in a higher position for a continuous period of five working days or more will be paid an allowance as follows:
- if required to perform the full range of duties of the position in which they are required to act, the allowance will be equivalent to the difference between the staff member’s own Salary and the minimum salary rate applicable to the classification of the acting position; and
- in other cases the amount payable will be determined by the University having regard to factors such as the duties that the staff member is required to perform and the staff member’s performance, including during previous periods of temporary performance and relevant experience or skills.
If a staff member has been acting in a higher position for a continuous period of 12 months and is able to satisfy the criteria for incremental progression:
- the allowance will be increased to the next incremental step within the higher classification level if the staff member is required to perform the full range of duties of the position in which they are required to act; and
- in other cases, the allowance will be increased by an amount reflecting the percentage of the duties required to be performed.
A staff member whose substantive responsibilities as specified in their position description (or equivalent) include deputising for a more senior staff member will not be entitled to any allowance when acting in the senior staff member’s position.
Payment of salaries and related payments
Salaries, allowances and overtime payments will be paid fortnightly by electronic funds transfer into a financial institution account nominated by the staff member.
Any other payments to which a staff member may be entitled, whether under this Agreement or otherwise, will also be made by electronic funds transfer into a financial institution account nominated by the staff member.