Schedule 5: English language teaching staff - Allocation of work
ALLOCATION OF WORK
Teaching work will be assigned to staff to ensure a well-balanced portfolio encompassing face-to-face teaching, course design, materials development and administrative duties.
Work will be allocated on the basis of benchmarks that reflect the University’s strategic objectives and the needs of English language teaching staff and students in accordance with the following:
- face-to-face teaching hours per week: up to 20 for Language Teachers, up to six for CET Education Managers and up to four for the CET Deputy Director;
- a maximum of 42 weeks’ scheduled teaching in any one teaching year; and
- five working days to undertake non-teaching activities (including course design, materials development and relevant project work) after each period of ten consecutive weeks’ teaching.
The Centre for English Teaching Management and Staff Consultative Committee will monitor the processes referred to in clause 24 in the context of overall quality assurance, and will take into account a range of factors including:
- effective maximum teaching loads;
- modes of delivery;
- courses taught;
- supervision of staff and students;
- the number of students taught, including class size and EFTSU load;
- staff development requirements, including the needs of new staff; and
- administrative duties.